Sunday, April 11, 2021

PT-1 "The Barrier of Personal Riches" (Matt. 8:21)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/11/2021 8:01 PM

 

My Worship Time                                                  Focus:  PT-1 “The Barrier of Personal Riches”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 8:21

 

            Message of the verses:  21 Another of the disciples said to Him, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.’”

 

            It was last Thursday evening that I was teaching a Bible Study with a few people in it and one of the men asked me about being an Apostle.  I told him that there were certain qualifications that one must have to be an Apostle, seeing the Lord Jesus Christ after His resurrection was one of the qualifications and so as far as I know there are only 13 true Apostles with Paul being the last one as He saw the risen Lord on the road to Damascus described in the 9th chapter of Acts.  Why do I bring this up?  Well as we look at our verse today we see the words “another of the disciples” and what is meant by that is that there were a lot of people following Jesus and they were called disciples.  Now Jesus did chose 12 disciples and eleven of them became Apostles as Judas would hang himself and not see the Lord Jesus Christ after He arose from the dead.  The man we are talking about today was a man who was falling Jesus around.  By the way the word disciple in the Greek/English dictionary means learner or pupil.  John the Baptist had disciple in his group.  MacArthur says of this man that “He was not one of the Twelve, but a hanger-on who had perhaps followed Jesus about the countryside for a few weeks or months.”

 

            This man had a similar relationship with Jesus as the scribe did, that is he assumed that his relationship to Jesus was all it should be.  I guess you could say it was not very deep, but this man made what seemed to be a reasonable request:  “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.”  What do you think of that statement?  Do you think it was reasonable?  Do you think it was fair to be able to go and bury his father before he followed Jesus?  Would you be surprised to learn that this man was in it for the money, and so when he got it then he would follow Jesus, but when he got his father’s inheritance it is doubtful that he would follow Jesus.  Would you be surprised to learn that this man’s father as in good health and not really close to dying?  Well that was the case and Jesus knew all about it.  MacArthur writes “Since the Jews did not practice embalming; a dead body had to be quickly prepared and buried.  Not only that, but Jewish tradition required that a person mourn for his deceased father or mother for a period of thirty days.  The final act of devotion to parents was seeking that they were properly buried.  Since Jesus was about to go to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, a burial obviously could not wait until His return.”

 

            The expression “let me go and bury my father” is still used in the Middle East today and means the same thing that this man was talking about.  “Bury my father” simply meant staying at home and fulfilling his family responsibilities until his father died ad he received his share of the inheritance writes MacArthur.

 

            One more thing to understand before we end this short SD and that is that “since a man’s inheritance was customarily lost or reduced if he did not fulfill his expected responsibilities to the family, the phrase ‘I must bury my father’ was frequently equivalent to ‘I want to wait until I receive my inheritance.’”

 

4/11/2021 8:26 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment