Thursday, May 27, 2021

PT-1 Intro to "Jesus' Power over Death" (Matt. 9:18-26)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/27/2021 10:30 AM

 

My Worship Time                                               Focus:  PT-1 Intro to “Jesus’ Power over Death”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 9:18-26

 

            Message of the verses:  18 While He was saying these things to them, a synagogue official came and bowed down before Him, and said, "My daughter has just died; but come and lay Your hand on her, and she will live." 19 Jesus got up and began to follow him, and so did His disciples. 20 And a woman who had been suffering from a hemorrhage for twelve years, came up behind Him and touched the fringe of His cloak; 21 for she was saying to herself, "If I only touch His garment, I will get well." 22 But Jesus turning and seeing her said, "Daughter, take courage; your faith has made you well." At once the woman was made well. 23 When Jesus came into the official’s house, and saw the flute-players and the crowd in noisy disorder, 24 He said, "Leave; for the girl has not died, but is asleep." And they began laughing at Him. 25 But when the crowd had been sent out, He entered and took her by the hand, and the girl got up. 26 This news spread throughout all that land.”

 

            I think that it best for me to begin this SD with a quotation from John MacArthur as he begins to introduce us to these verses in Matthew chapter nine.  “Perhaps no man in modern times has seemed before the eyes of the world to have been more at peace with himself and others than Mahatma Gandhi.  He was the image of a tranquil soul who possessed perfect inner harmony.  Fifteen years before he died he wrote, ‘I must tell you in all humility that Hinduism as I know it entirely satisfies my soul.  It fills my whole being and I find a solace in the Bhagavad and Upanishad that I miss even in the Sermon on the Mount.’  But just before his death he wrote, ‘My days are numbered.  I am not likely to live very long, perhaps a year or a little more.  For the first time in fifty years I find myself in the slew of despond.’  Even the tranquil Gandhi had to face the reality of death and the inability of his man-made religion to give him answers or comfort in face of it.”

 

            Later on he writes “We live in a dying world, where before all of us looms the inevitability of death.  We are deteriorating human beings in a deteriorating world that is marked by tragedy, sorrow, pain, and death.  Since the fall, there has been a curse on the earth and that curse has sent the earth and all of its inhabitants careening and spiraling into disasters, tears, sickness, and the grave.”  (So far this SD is pretty depressing, but I think that it will get better.)

 

            Recently I found out that my first wife had gotten brain cancer, and had little time to live.  I have to say that there are many in this world who found out that their “X’s” would soon leave this earth would be happy, as I saw on Face Book lately.  However when a person becomes a born-again believer and is forgiven of all their sins, past, present, and future, that changes things as it did for me in 1974.  I happened to see her as I requested and got to share the plan of salvation with her, and was to see her again, but death came first.  We had a daughter together and so I, and my family desired to support her through this difficult time in her life as her adopted father had died in 2018 and so she was left without either, and I know that this was tough on her.  As I look at this introduction into these verses it becomes painfully true to me what death brings, and as I continue to look at Matthew’s gospel I am seeing why he puts things in the order that he puts them as he is writing about the King and His Kingdom.  Death will not be as prevalent in the Kingdom Age of Jesus Christ and Matthew wants us to realize this and that is probably why he is showing in a gradual way what Jesus Christ has power over, and as we see in this section that Matthew shows to us that He has power even over death. 

 

            I will close this first SD on the intro to these verses by talking about what is found in John chapter eleven, a chapter that is about Jesus also raising one from the dead, and this time he had been dead for four days.  In that chapter Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead and we learn also from that section another of Jesus “"I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies.”  Yes Jesus has the power over death and even when a believer dies they will be immediately in the present of the Lord as Paul states that “absent from the body is present with the Lord.” 

 

            Lord willing we will continue with this intro in our next SD.

 

5/27/2021 11:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment