Thursday, May 6, 2021

PT-2 "Forgiveness" (Matt. 9:2b)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/6/2021 10:54 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                                Focus:  PT-2 “Forgiveness”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 9:2b

 

            Message of the verses:  Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven.’”

 

            We begin with a story from John MacArthur’s commentary:  “When missionaries in northern Alaska were translating the Bible into the language of the Eskimos, they discovered there was no word in that language for forgiveness.  After much patient listening, however, they discovered a word that means, ‘not being able to think about it anymore.’  That word was used throughout the translation to represent forgiveness, because God’s promise is to repentant sinners is “I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more’ (Jer. 31:34).”

 

            MacArthur then writes another story about a girl who was in the hospital who was accidently shot in the neck.  This caused her to be completely paralyzed from the neck down.  This young lady was very active and being paralyzed was surely an awful experience for her and she stated that if she could she would kill herself, but that was not something she could do in her condition.  MacArthur writes “I presented Christ to her and, after some questions and discussion, she received Christ as her Lord and Savior.  I went back to visit here several times, and one day she said to me, ‘I can honestly say now that I’m glad the accident happened.  Otherwise I may never have met Christ and had my sins forgiven.”  Yes forgiveness is such a wonderful thing, something all humans need, that is forgiveness of their sins.

 

            Let us look at some verses that help us better to understand this wonderful gift.  “Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness” (1 John 3:4), this verse tells us the problem we have as it defines the image in man, staining his soul with Satan’s image as seen in John 6:70 and 8:44.  “70 Jesus answered them, "Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve, and yet one of you is a devil?’” “44 “You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”  Romans 3:23 shows us that sin affects all men:  “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”  We can see from these verses that sin has caused so great a problem for mankind and having the forgiveness of our sins has to be the most important thing in our lives, and Jesus Christ is the one who has forgiven us of our sins, and this surely can give us a peace that passes all understanding.  In our Wednesday evening prayer meeting the message was on why people have trouble in living the Christian life and one of the reasons is that believers refuse to forgive others of the sins that are committed against them.  Jesus Christ forgives us all of our sins, and that means that we are to forgive others who sin against us, something that at times is most difficult to do.  Jesus told a parallel about this which was about a man who owed and uncountable amount of money to someone and so he was forgiven of that debt.  That same man went out and had another man put in prison who owed him a very small amount.  This did not end well for him as the man whom forgave him came back and scorned him for his lack of forgiveness.

            MacArthur concludes this section:  “Because of that bleak picture” (the verses that speak of our total depravity) “the best news anyone can receive is the word that his ‘sins are forgiven.’  When Jesus spoke those words to the paralytic, He must have tasted the bitterness and agony of Calvary, knowing that the words could be effective only because He would take the man’s sin upon Himself.  Every time He forgave sin, He knew and anticipated the cost.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have to say that too many times when I sin I don’t think of what it cost God to pay for those sins.  Jesus went to the cross and not only suffered and died for my sins, but the thing that I believe He dreaded most was being sin for me, and also being separated from His Father as in the darkened world was paying for my sins by His Father.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I desire to remember what it cost my Savior when I sin, and be very thankful that He was willing to take my place on the cross.

 

5/6/2021 11:24 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment