Friday, May 14, 2021

PT-1 "The Positive Response" (Matt. 9:9-10)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/14/2021 11:05 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  PT-1 “The Positive Response”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                        Reference:  Matt. 9:9-10

 

            Message of the verses:  9 As Jesus went on from there, He saw a man called Matthew, sitting in the tax collector’s booth; and He said to him, "Follow Me!" And he got up and followed Him. 10 Then it happened that as Jesus was reclining at the table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were dining with Jesus and His disciples.”

 

            Jesus was leaving His own city, Capernaum, and as He was leaving He saw a man named Matthew, but in the other gospels he is called Levi.  As we read through the Scriptures we will see people who have different names, not sure if they are nicknames or not, but they have different names.  Some names have been changed by God like Abraham and Sarah, Peter’s name was changed from Simon, but it seems that every time that Jesus had something very serious to say to Peter that He called him Simon.  As we look at different places in the Gospels we see the names of the twelve disciples and in different Gospels we see different names for the same disciples.  I guess the bottom line is that names mean more than perhaps we think.  Levi was the son of Alphaeus as seen in Mark 2:14; cf. Luke 5:27.  I am not sure how many are watching the TV program “The Chosen,” a story about the life of Christ, but actually more about His disciples.  The man that is playing Matthew seems to me like a “nerd,” at least nerdy.  I have to believe that Matthew was a very smart individual as we can see that from the Gospel he writes, not sure that he is what I would call a nerd though.  Bottom line I do like the shows and would recommend anyone who has not seen them to watch them as my wife and I just watched the 4th show in the 2nd season last Wednesday evening.

 

            John MacArthur writes “When we realize that Matthew penned these two verses about himself, we get a glimpse of his modesty and humility.  In his own mind, the most important truth about the writer’s former character is given in the words, ‘sitting in the tax office.’  To Jews of his day, that single phrase established Matthew as the most despised, vile and corrupt man in Capernaum.”

 

            In MacArthur’s commentary on this section he goes into great detail to describe exactly what Matthew’s former job entailed and to say the least it was as described in the above statement, vile and corrupt Matthew was to the Jews of his day.  Think about some of the characters that Jesus would use to bring about His message of the Gospel and of the Kingdom of God.  We see some of these men were fishermen, a difficult job at best, and then we see a man who was a Zealot and we can be sure that this man probably hated the former tax collector in the group more than the others, although we can be sure that they all hated Matthew when Jesus first called him.  Jesus Christ chose twelve sinful men to follow Him, and we have to believe that the reason that they followed Him was because He called each of them.  What I can see here in these twelve men is the essence of what the Gospel can do in the life of a person.  I have to believe that if Christ, through His Holy Spirit and His Word had not called me back in 1974 that my life would be so much different than it is now, different in that I would be in worse shape, probably not even married having two children and seven grandchildren who all love the Lord now.  I have to say that I praise the Lord for what He has done in my life and as I look at these twelve men who were Jesus’ disciples and see how He changed their lives, especially after His resurrection when the Holy Spirit came on them as seen in Acts chapter two that I can get a glimpse of what the Lord is doing in my life and in the lives of all who have been called by Him today.

 

            Lord willing we will look at the different names of these “tax collectors” or publican the Greek word for “publican” in our next SD and I think that all will find it very interesting.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have to say that the more that I study the book of Matthew the more excited I get on how the Spirit and Matthew put this gospel together.  I am learning much and hope that all who follow my blog are learning a lot too.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to learn from the Word of God in order so that I can do what the Lord has planned for me to do as I try to patiently learn from His Word each day.

 

5/14/2021 11:33 AM

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment