Tuesday, November 16, 2021

A Disciple Receives His Reward (Matt. 10:40-42)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/16/2021 11:19 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                        Focus:  “A Disciple Receives His Reward”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 10:40-42

 

            Message of the verses:  40 “He who receives you receives Me, and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me. 41 “He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward; and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward. 42 "And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you he shall not lose his reward.’”

 

            I have to say that I did not, at times think we would ever get to the end of chapter ten of Matthew’s gospel, but here we are and it seems to me that this ends with a good note as it talks about rewards, and who doesn’t want a reward.

 

            This is the sixth hallmark of a true disciple, and it is not what he does or is but what he receives.  This mark, as mentioned is the most positive one but is also the most invisible one.  This hallmark is not experienced fully—sometimes very little—in this life but is primarily reserved for heaven and is enjoyed now by faith and hope.

 

            As we look at the first phrase “He who receives you receives Me,” I think that this means that a person who receives us and our testimony also receives Christ, because we are His ambassadors.  I also know that there is a reward for what we call “soul winners.”

 

            Now we also know that the person who receives the Son also receives the Father:  and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.”  There is no such thing to just believe in the Father and not believe in the Son.  MacArthur writes “Jesus told the unbelieving Jews in Jerusalem, “You know neither Me, nor My Father; if you knew Me, you would know My Father also.”  A short while alter He said to the same group, “If God were your Father, you would love Me; for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me.” (John 8:19, 42).

 

            In God’s limitless grace He not only rewards a prophet for his faithfulness but also rewards anyone else who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet, even giving them a prophet’s reward.  This same principle also applies to every believer who is accepted for Christ’s sake.  He who receives a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward.  MacArthur adds “In an incomprehensible sharing of blessing, God showers His rewards on every person who receives His people because they are His people.”

 

            Now as God extends the promise still further Jesus then says And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you he shall not lose his reward.

 

            The “little ones” speaks of those who seem insignificant and unimportant as can be seen in Matthew 18:3; 25:31-46.   I think that the passage in Matthew 25 is a part of the Olivet Discourse where Jesus is talking about the tribulation period.  It is possible that they are even new believers who are untaught and are stumbling in their new walk with the Lord, or they might be lifelong believers whose devoted years of service have attracted little attention.  The point Jesus is making is that any service done to any of His people in His name amounts to service to Him and will be rewarded.  Even the simplest help given to the simplest disciple will not go unnoticed or unrewarded by God.

 

            We will finish this section and this 10th chapter of Matthew with a few stories from John MacArthur’s commentary.

 

            While a young boy in a country village in England struggled hard to study for the ministry, an old cobbler helped him in whatever way he could.  The godly man encouraged the boy spiritually and helped support him with what little money he could spare.  When the young was finally licensed to preach, the cobbler said to him, ‘I always had in my heart the desire to be a minister of the gospel; but circumstances never made it possible.  You are doing what was always my dream but never a reality.  I want you to let me make your shoes for nothing, and I want you to wear them in the pulpit when your preach.  In that way I will feel you are preaching the gospel I always wanted to preach, standing in my shoes.’

 

            “Whenever we become the source of blessing for others, we are blessed; and whenever other believers become a source of blessing to us, they are blessed.  In God’s magnificent economy of grace, the least believer can share the blessings of the greatest, and no one’s good work will go unrewarded.

 

            “John Calvin was banished from Geneva by ungrateful citizens who resented his giving them the full truth of God’s Word.  In response to the disappointing news, he said, ‘Most assuredly, if I had merely served man, this would have been a poor recompense. But is is my happiness that I have served Him who never fails to reward His servants to the full extent of His promise.’”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I think about these different stories here I am thankful that the Lord has put on my heart to share my Spiritual Diaries with those around the world, with the hope that those who read them will be blessed in a wonderful way by the Lord who is the One who has caused me to write these Spiritual Diaries.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To trust the Lord and continue to learn from Him as from time to time I go through spiritual struggles.

 

11/16/2021 11:53 AM   

No comments:

Post a Comment