Sunday, November 14, 2021

PT-4 "A Disciple Forsakes His Family" (Matt. 10:34-37)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/14/2021 7:44 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                Focus:  PT-4 “A Disciple Forsakes His Family”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 10:34-37

 

            Message of the verses:  34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 “For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 “and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ 37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.”

 

            I realize that this section has been a difficult one to study, but the truth is that becoming a Christian requires affirming the lordship of Christ to the point where you are willing to forsake everything else.  Becoming a Christian is not simply raising a hand signing a card, or walking down an aisle and then declaring love for Jesus.  Salvation is by faith alone, apart from any works at all; but faith that is genuine will be manifested in a commitment that cannot be swayed by any influence, and that to include family and friends.  When I became a believer I had many friends that I hung around with and we did some “bad” things, and I have to say that it took me a while to just stop hanging around them, but as the Lord became more and more important to me as I began to walk with Him, then that made it easier to not hang around with them.  I can pretty much know the date that I stopped hanging around with them as it was the night before my daughter was born, December 22, 1976.  Now it is true that the Christian is to love his family with self-sacrificing love.  It is true that Christian husbands and wives are to love each other and their children with unreserved devotion.  Also Christian children are to love, respect, and care for their parents as unto the Lord.  But a believer’s commitment to Christ is so profound and far-reaching than any relationship that endangers that relationship must be sacrificed if necessary.

 

            John MacArthur talks about John Bunyan in his commentary and we will finish this SD with what he wrote and then what Bunyan wrote.  “John Bunyan was told to quit preaching or be thrown in prison.  He knew that if he went to prison, his wife and children would be left destitute.  They had little enough to eat and wear when he was free; but if he were imprisoned, they would be totally impoverished.  Yet he knew he must preach the gospel God had called him to preach.  Because he refused to stop preaching, he was imprisoned; and from his cell he wrote,

 

‘The parting with my wife and poor children hath often been to me in this place as the pulling of the flesh from my bones; and that not only because I am somewhat too fond of these great mercies, but also because I would have often brought to my mind the many hardships, miseries, and wants that my poor family was like to meet with, should I be taken from them, especially my poor blind child, who lay nearer my heart than all I have besides.  Oh, the thought of the hardship I thought my blind one might go under would break my heart to pieces…But yet, recalling myself, I thought I, I must venture all with God though it goeth to the quick to leave you.  Oh, I saw in this condition, I was a man who was pulling down his house upon the head of his wife and children; yet though I, I must do it.  I must do it.’”

 

            I have to say that the world has been blessed with the things that John Bunyan wrote while in prison, but as we can see it was most difficult on him to have to leave his family.

 

11/14/2021 8:04 AM   

No comments:

Post a Comment