Tuesday, November 9, 2021

PT-4 "A Disciples Confesses the Lord (Matt. 10: 32-33)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/9/2021 7:54 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                   Focus:  PT-4 “A Disciple Confesses the Lord”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 10:32-33

 

            Message of the verses:  32 “Everyone therefore who shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 “But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.”

 

            We want to talk about the negative side of Jesus’ warning as it is sobering:  “But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.”  MacArthur writes about this verse:  “This warning applies to a person who makes an outward profession of Christianity but turns away when hard testing comes.”  A verse that comes to my mind is a verse that has been talked about in our Sunday school class on Hebrews and that is 1John 2:19 “They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us.”

 

            MacArthur explains “It is possible to deny Christ before men by silence, by failing to witness for Him and trying to be an unnoticed Christian—whose friends and neighbors, and perhaps even family, would never suspect of being a believer.  It is also possible to deny Christ by actions, living like the rest of the world lives, with no higher standards or values.  It is possible to deny Christ by words, using the world’s profanity, vulgarity, and blasphemy.  It is possible to deny Christ in many ways that are short of verbally and publicly renouncing Him.

            “The future tenses in verses 32-33 tell us that Jesus is speaking of future judgment.  In that day, those who confess Him, he ‘will also confess,’ and those who deny Him, He ‘will also deny.

            “The difference between true and false discipleship is a much-repeated theme in Matthew Near the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said, "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.’  Later during the sermon He distinguished between false disciples, who enter by the narrow gate and walk in the narrow way (7:13-14).”  “13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14 “For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.”

 

            Following on in chapter seven of Matthew our Lord spoke of those who bear good fruit and those who bear bad fruit as seen in verses 16-20 “16  "You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 “So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 “A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 “So then, you will know them by their fruits.”  Next we want to look at verses 21-23 “21 "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 “Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’  In verses 24-27 Jesus spoke of those who built their houses on the rock and those who built them on the sand.

 

            I want to quote a paragraph that I wrote on the 9th of March 2019 while looking at the introduction a Ephesians 4:7-11, verses that have to do with Spiritual gifts, and at the end of that SD I wrote the following which has to do with a quotation from John MacArthur which I will also include:  “John MacArthur writes “Paul begins this passage by referring to what God has done for those who have trusted in His Son.  The worthy Christian walk he has just described (4:1-6) is carried out through the ministry of the gift He has given us.  In verses 7-11 the apostle first assures us that every believer has been individually gifted; then he shows us how Christ obtained the right to give gifts; and finally he mentions some of the specially gifted men through whom the Lord blesses the whole church.”

 

            As I look at this quotation from John MacArthur it confirms what I have been learning for some time as I have studied the Word of God, and that is that what I am to do for the cause of Christ is to do the things that He has planned for me in eternity past, and in order for me to do that I have received His gifts so that I can accomplish those things He wants me to do.  This all boils down to having everything I do bring glory to my Lord, for after all Jesus paid it all so that I can be a believer, and I must remember that He came to earth doing the will of His Father, and then I must also remember that the Spirit of God gave me an effectual call 45 years ago so that I could become a born-again believer in Jesus Christ.  All of this was done by the triune God in order for me to bring glory to God.  I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength to do them so that He will be glorified.

 

            As I was preparing for my Sunday school lesson for the third chapter of Hebrews a point came up about how can one tell if one is really a true believer, and the answer was that a person continues doing things to show that they are believers.  To continue from the time you receive Christ until He comes to take you in the Rapture or takes you home to be with Him through death.  The point is that you life is not a splash in the pan and then nothing else, but you continue in the faith. 

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The Christian life is a series of new beginnings is a quote I have used often, and the point is that there are new beginnings that believers have, those who confess the Lord and trouble comes the new beginnings will not happen.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord has I go and have some minor surgery on my face this morning.

 

11/9/2021 8:24 AM

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment