Friday, November 5, 2021

Intro to Matt. 10:32-42)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/5/2021 1:03 PM

 

My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Intro to Matthew 10:32-42

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                            Reference:  Matt. 10:32-42

 

            Message of the verses:  32 “Everyone therefore who shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 “But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. 34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 "For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW; 36 and A MAN’S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD. 37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 “And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 "He who has found his life shall lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake shall find it. 40 "He who receives you receives Me, and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me. 41 "He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward; and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward. 42 "And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you he shall not lose his reward.’”

 

            John MacArthur entitles this last chapter in his commentary from the 10th chapter of Matthew “The Hallmarks of Discipleship—PT-2.”  In his short introduction which I will quote is a story about a missionary from the early 1800’s.

 

            “After Henry Martyn spent virtually a lifetime of ministry in India, he announced that God had laid a burden on his heart to go to Persia (modern Iran) and translate the New Testament and Psalms into the Persian language.  Doctors had already told him that he would die because of the heat if he stayed in India.  He went to Persia, studied the language, and eventually finished the translation work in 1812.  He then learned, however, that he could not print and distribute the Scriptures without the shah’s permission.  He traveled six hundred miles to Teheran but was denied permission to see the shah.  He took another four hundred-mile trip to visit the British ambassador, who gave him proper papers of introduction.  Riding a mule at night and resting during the heat of the day, he came back to Teheran and managed to obtain the needed permission.  Ten days later he died.  Shortly before his death he had written in his diary, ‘I sat and thought with sweet comfort and peace of my God.  In solitude my Companion, my Friend and Comforter.’

           

            “Bound up in the spirit of Henry Martyn was the key to genuine discipleship:  being so utterly consumed with the cause of Christ that you take no thought for your own life or welfare.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Stories like this one and the one from yesterday and also from what I have learned from a FB post of a missionary from Peru who was killed in her home by a robber make me think about how these people cared more about the cause of Christ in their lives than the human body that they lived in. 

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Lord give me the desire to follow you and do your work more than thinking about me and my wants.

 

11/5/2021 1:24 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment