Monday, June 27, 2022

PT-2 "Proof of His Divine Love" (Matt. 14:28-31)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/27/2022 8:19 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                           Focus:  PT-2 “Proof of His Divine Love”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 14:28-31

 

            Message of the verses:  28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." 29 And He said, "Come!" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But seeing the wind, he became afraid, and beginning to sink, he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!" 31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?’”

 

            In his commentary on Matthew John MacArthur writes the following insightful paragraph on Peter, and I have to say that I do agree with all of it but perhaps one point and I will explain that after I quote this paragraph.  “Peter did many things for which he can be faulted.  But he is sometimes faulted for things that reflect love, courage, and faith as much as brashness or cowardice.  For instance, although he denied the Lord while in the courtyard during Jesus’ trial, he was nevertheless there, as close to Him as he could get.  The rest of the disciples were nowhere to be found.  On the Mount of Transfiguration, Peter’s suggestion was unwise but it was prompted by sincere devotion:  ‘Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah’ (Matt. 17:4).  He genuinely loved Jesus and sincerely wanted to serve and please Him.  Peter did not resist Jesus’ washing his feet because of pride, but because, in his deep humility, he could not conceive of His Lord washing the feet of anyone so unworthy.  And when Jesus explained the significance of what He was doing, Peter said, ‘Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head’(John 13:9).”

 

            Now as far as “unwise” statement that Peter made on the Mount of Transfiguration, a while back I was reading historical novels.  The wife would pretty much do the writing, and the husband the research for the novels.  Brook and Bodie Tannae are the author’s names and they have written many wonderful books that all have to do with the Bible characters.  At any rate in one of their books they depict what happened on the Mount of Transfiguration and they thought was that the time they were all up there was the time of the “Feast of the Booths” and so Peter was simply saying that he would make these booths for all who was up there.  I guess you can take that or leave it alone.

 

            As we study the different gospels, and this is the third one that I have studied recently and one of the things you find is that Peter is continually in the Lord’s shadow and footsteps.  Now if we can read between the lines of these gospel accounts, it is not too difficult to imagine that Peter sometimes followed so closely behind Jesus that he would bump into Him when Jesus stopped. (I would say that is following pretty close.)  Peter sensed in Jesus’ presence a wonderful safety and comfort, and that is where Peter now wanted to be.  It was safer to be with Jesus on the water than to be without Him in the boat.

 

            I get the sense that in many ways that Peter is kind of like me, in that his love for Jesus was not at all perfect, but was weak.  I can surely understand that, and the reason for me is that by becoming a believer near the age of 27 that I had a lot of sinful living done in those first 26+ years of my life, and perhaps Peter’s life before Christ was like that too.  Remember when Jesus did the miracle of catching a great many fish in Peter’s boat that Peter told Him to get away from him because he was a sinner?  I know that feeling very well too.  In the end of the gospel of John Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him three times, and each time Peter responded affirmatively.  Jesus did not contradict Peter’s answer but He reminded him of his obligation to care for his Master’s sheep and warned him the great cost his love would demand found in John 21:15-18.  I suppose many of my readers will remember that tradition says that Peter was crucified upside down because he did not feel worthy of being crucified the way His Lord was crucified.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I know that some of the things that Peter did reminds me of myself, like not having enough patience and other things, but one thing is for sure that it is my desire to love the Lord like Peter did, and His love for the Lord grew a great deal after Pentecost as it was after that that he was filled with the Holy Spirit.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To love the Lord more fully.

 

6/27/2022 8:54 AM 

No comments:

Post a Comment