Monday, October 24, 2022

PT-3 "The Terror of the Father" (Matt. 17:5-6)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/24/2022 10:15 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                             Focus:  PT-3 “The Terror of the Father”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 17:5-6

 

            Message of the verses:  5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and behold, a voice out of the cloud, saying, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!" 6 And when the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were much afraid.”

 

            I think at times that I really don’t have the right respect for God that I should.  I am reading a book about this and have been convicted that I need more reverence for God.  As we look at these verses we can see that even at the voice of God the disciples “fell on their faces and were much afraid.”  When we look at the words “much afraid” in the NASB, and then look at it in the NASB95 the word is changed to terrified.  I looked up the meaning of this word and that is a very good translation of what the Greek word means.  I have thought about what would happen to me if I meet the Lord this side of heaven, and I think terrified would be what I would experience, terrified because of the awesomeness of His person.  I look at the first chapter of the book of Revelation and in that chapter this is what we read about the Apostle John when he sees the glorified Christ, and remember this is who in John’s gospel we see John resting his head on our Lord’s shoulder at the Last Supper.  “17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man” (Rev. 1:17a).  Isaiah had a similar experience, and so did the father of Samson along with his wife as after they knew who it was that they were talking to they both thought that they would soon die.  Well let me get back to finishing up on these verses as I just had to write what I wrote before continuing our look at these verses.

 

            I guess it is entirely possible that the voice of the Lord who was speaking was talking directly to Peter when He said “Listen to Me.”  He may have been saying in effect “If My Son tells you he must go to Jerusalem to suffer and die, believe Him.  If He tells you He will be raised up on the third day, believe Him.  If He tells you to take up your own cross and follow Him, that is what you are to do.  If He says He will come again in glory, then believe Him and live accordingly.” 

 

            Peter and his companions knew at this time that they were standing in the presence of God as I was talking about in the first paragraph.  John MacArthur writes “As would be expected, when the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were much afraid.  Peter was probably so utterly traumatized that he promptly forgot about his presumptuous suggestion to build the three tabernacles.”

 

            MacArthur goes on:  “The combined awareness of the Lord’s grace and His majesty, His love and His justice, His friendship and His lordship should cause a kind of spiritual tension in every believer.  On the one hand he rejoices in his loving fellowship with the Lord because of His gracious kindness, and on the other hand he has reverential fear as he contemplates His awesome holiness and righteousness.  As the believer walks in obedience to God, he experiences the comfort of His presence.  But as he walks in disobedience, he should feel the terror of that same presence.  Proverbs declares that spiritual wisdom begins with the fear of God (Prov. 9:10).”  I feel good when MacArthur aggress with me.

 

            The truth is that sinful men in the presence of God always want to hide.  This is seen in the very first chapters of the Bible as we see that when the Lord created Adam and Eve that they had perfect fellowship with Him, but then after they sinned they hid from the Lord as seen in Genesis 3:8 “They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.”  I mentioned Isaiah in the first paragraph and so let’s look at Isaiah 6:5 “Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.’”  Now as Isaiah stood in the presence of perfect holiness, the sense of his own utter sinfulness overwhelmed him.  One of my favorite characters in the Old Testament is Daniel and in Daniel 8:15-17 we read “15 When I, Daniel, had seen the vision, I sought to understand it; and behold, standing before me was one who looked like a man. 16 And I heard the voice of a man between the banks of Ulai, and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give this man an understanding of the vision." 17  So he came near to where I was standing, and when he came I was frightened and fell on my face; but he said to me, "Son of man, understand that the vision pertains to the time of the end.’”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The fear of the Lord is something that I continue to learn about, and I am thankful for the Lord’s teaching me about this, and pray He will continue to do so.

 

            My Steps of Faith for Today:  As I continue to read the book that I am reading, my prayer is that the Spirit of God will continue to teach me about the Lord.

 

10/24/2022 10:52 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment