Saturday, October 1, 2022

PT-4 "The Principle" (Matt. 16:24)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/1/2022 9:56 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-4 “The Principle”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 16:24

 

            Message of the verse:   24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.”

 

            I have been writing Spiritual Diaries for many, many years and one of the things that continues to be amazing to me is how different it is when looking at certain verses where it takes a long time to get through them, while at other times it may only take one SD to go through a number of verses in a chapter.  I have to say that since I have begun my study of the Bible which began some 48+ years ago that I have kind of gone from an air plane look at the Bible to getting down and digging into the Bible kind of like digging for gold in a gold mine.  I have a missionary friend who died a while ago and I use to send him some of my Spiritual diaries and he would write back to me and say keep on sending those nuggets of gold to me.  When I first started seriously in studying the Word of God as I began to study the entire Bible I would use helps from Dr. Warren Wiersbe who was a very great teacher and preacher and also a writer as he had commentaries on all 66 books of the Bible.  Dr. Wiersbe would always put the cookies on the shelf where you could reach them.  It took me 25 years to get through the entire study of the Bible and once I got done I began to once again go through the different books of the New Testament, and at that time I began to use for my help the commentaries of John MacArthur.  I think that when MacArthur began his ministry that it was his goal to go through each book of the New Testament which took him many, many years.  I know it took him 10 years to go through the gospel of Luke, and then after that he began his last book of the New Testament, the book of Mark.  After that he began to look again at the gospel of John and then the book of Acts.  I listen to many of his sermons because at this stage of may walk with the Lord I want to dig deeper into the Word of God and so an example of that is all the time we are spending on Matthew 16:24 which is a very important verse in the New Testament and I have to say that I have been learning a lot from this one particular verse.  We begin today by looking at the second requirement of discipleship which is to take up one’s cross and I hope all who read this will learn some things that I have learned from this as it is a bit different than what I had thought taking up one’s cross was about.  By the way in Luke’s gospel he adds the words daily to taking up one’s cross.

 

            As mentioned this idea of taking up one’s cross has some profound meaning, and it must be understood.  MacArthur writes “Taking up one’s cross is not some mystical level of selfless ‘deeper spiritual life’ that only the religious elite can hope to achieve.  Nor is it the common trials and hardships that all persons experience sometime in life.  A cross is not having an unsaved husband, nagging wife, or domineering mother-in-law nor is it having a physical handicap or suffering from an incurable disease.  To take up one’s cross is simply to be willing to pay any price for Christ’s sake.  It is the willingness to endure shame, embarrassment, reproach, rejection, persecution, and even martyrdom for His sake.”

 

            I will close this SD with a story about willingness which I heard from the sermon on this section.  Back in the days when there were slaves in our country there was a black slave who was so full of the joy of the Lord that his master would come to him and ask him how he could be so joyful, so happy.  The man told him that his joy came from the Lord, and so the master asks him how to get it.  The slave told him to put on his white suit and come work in the mud with him.  Well this was not something that he was willing to do.  Later on the same conversation came up as he asked the slave how he could get what he had.  “Come down here with your white suit on and work with me in the mud.  Same result.  Still later on this man really wanted to have what this slave had and so the conversation came about the third time, with the same answer.  The master finally said ok I will do that to which the slave said that as long as he was willing to do it that he did not have to do it.  Believers may never have to endure shame, embarrassment, reproach, rejection, persecution, and even martyrdom for the sake of the cross but they must be willing to do it.

 

            In 1974 when I became a believer in Jesus Christ I would listen to sermons by Hal Lindsey who was famous for writing books on the end times, state that even back in 1974 that the tide was changing in our country and one day he felt that persecution would come to the land of the free and the home of the brave.  He is very close to being right, as there is some persecution beginning in our country and we as believers must be willing to go through it for the cross of Christ as we take up our cross daily and follow the Lord.  Satan is certainly behind this movement as he always is behind this kind of movement.  I have good news and bad news for those who are doing these kinds of things to our country.  The good news is that they will win.  The bad news is that they will win as in the end they will face the wrath of God at the Great White Throne Judgment and then be sent into hell if they had not realized their need for the Savior before their death.

 

10/1/2022 10:28 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment