Wednesday, May 24, 2023

PT-1 "The Supernatural Privilege" (Matt. 20:32-34)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/24/2023 9:09 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  PT-1 “Their Supernatural Privilege”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 20:32-34

 

            Message of the verses:  32 And Jesus stopped and called them, and said, "What do you want Me to do for you?" 33 They said to Him, "Lord, we want our eyes to be opened." 34 And moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight and followed Him.”

 

            The first thing that I want to write about this morning is that these two blind beggars had to call Jesus two times, and I wonder why Jesus let them call Him those two times when I know that Jesus heard them the first time.  I can’t answer this question, but I can only guess at why He had them call Him those two times.  Perhaps Jesus wanted to test their faith.  Perhaps it had something to do with the crowd.  Those are only guesses on my part.

 

            Once they cried out a second time we read that “Jesus stopped and called them, and said, "What do you want Me to do for you?"  In the gospel of Mark’s account we read that Jesus had first sent someone else to tell them, saying, “Take courage, arise!  He is calling you.”  In verse fifty we see that Bartimaeus was so elated at hearing those words that “Throwing aside his cloak, he jumped up and came to Jesus.”  Perhaps he was so sure that he was going to receive his sight that he then would be able to come back and get his coat.

 

            Next we see in verse 32 that the men answered Jesus’ question of "What do you want Me to do for you?" They said “Lord, we want our eyes to be opened.”  I have to believe that because of how long they had been blind that they desired to be able to see again.  We then see that “34 And moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight.’”  John MacArthur writes “As the creator of the universe reached out to those men, He suspended the natural laws which He Himself had made.  Moved with infinite divine compassion, the Son of Man, who was also the Son of God, bestowed the mercy on the physical needs for which they pleaded.”

 

            Now I have mentioned that these men were able to see at one point in their lives, and the reason is of what Matthew says in verse 34 “and immediately they regained their sight.”  This is using the same verb Bartimaeus had used in his request as seen in Mark 10:51b “And the blind man said to Him, "Rabboni, I want to regain my sight!’”  Now if these men were able to see before, but then lost their sight, they knew exactly what they were missing, rather than if they had never been able to see before.

 

            As one goes through the gospels and sees the different times that Jesus healed people from different ailments it can be seen that Jesus used many different ways to perform His healing miracles.  Like in the case of these two blind beggars Jesus just spoke a word and they were healed and were instantly able to see.  There were other times when the person that Jesus was healing was asked by Jesus to do something.  I can think of the man born blind in John chapter nine who was told by Jesus to go and wash off his eyes of the “mud” that Jesus had put on his eyes and he did and was then healed.  We can also see that Jesus sometimes put his fingers into a person’s deaf ears in order to heal them.  In this case that we are looking at today Jesus came and touched their eyes and they were then instantly they were able to see again.  As already mentioned this defied natural laws and natural explanation.

 

            I have talked about healings before in some of my SD’s.  I have said that while Jesus was on earth that there were many, many healings that He performed, as John says at the end of His gospel “And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be

written.”  Now after Jesus was raised from the dead and after He then went into heaven we see that there were healings done by the Apostles, but as we go through the early church age when the Apostles were on earth we can see that the healings began to get less and less of them.  Paul writes about the gift of healing, but I believe that this was a gift that went away after the church was established, and after the whole New Testament was completed.  We call them “sing gifts” and healings was only one of them.  I don’t believe that anyone has that gift of healing today, and that people today are mistaken to think that this gift is still around.  I think a lot of times that these so-called healers do their so-called healings it is for money.  Think about that if they were legitimate why would they not go into hospitals and do healings, and have you ever heard of a healing done to a person who is blind?  I am not saying that God does not heal people today, but not through healers.  I have mentioned that a friend of mine, the man who taught me things right after I was saved told me that God heals you every time but the last time and then you, if you are a believer go to be with the Lord in heaven.  I think that is the ultimate healing, and I look forward to being with the Lord in heaven, hoping that it will be the rapture that will transport me into His presence.  Like my older pastor said “I’m looking for the Uppertaker and not the undertaker.

 

5/24/2023 9:56 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment