Monday, May 15, 2023

PT-6 "The Precept of True Greatness" (Matt. 20:26-27)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/15/2023 8:27 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                   Focus:  PT-6 "The Precept of True Greatness"

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 20:26-27

 

            Message of the verses:  26 "It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave;”

 

            I want to finish up this section in today’s SD, and I mentioned that it will be a shorter SD today as there is not much left in this section to write about.

 

            We have been talking about true greatness as we move through these two verses, and the cost of true greatness is humble, selfless, sacrificial service.  One of the things that I do in the mornings from time to time is go over a little booklet that is entitled “Pray 938” “Give a Month. Change the world.”  It is put out by Baptist Mid Missions, and organization that began in the church that I attend.  Our church has started two different mission organizations, and the other one focuses on missions in our country, something that is very much needed.  BMM’s mission is to go around the world sending missionaries to different parts of the world.  The first place that the founder went was the “Central African Republic” and this was over 100 years ago.  I know a few of the missionaries that are a part of BMM and the former three presidents of the mission attended our church.  One of them passed away a year or so ago, and I can tell you that he and the other two presidents fulfilled what I have highlighted in the first sentence of this paragraph.  The man that is president now used to be the Pastor of our church, as the Lord called him to leave our church as its pastor and become president of BMM.  I can say that personally I miss him as our pastor, but I know that this is where the Lord placed him.  Missionaries are people like other believers with the desire to want to serve the Lord through sacrificial service as the highlighted portion speaks of.

 

            Ok it is time to move on so that I can finish the comments on these verses.  Now the Christian who desires to be great and first in the kingdom is the one who is willing to serve in the hard place, and this also goes along with missionaries that I have just been talking about.  They too serve in the uncomfortable places, the lonely places, the demanding places, the places where they may not be appreciated, and sometimes even mistreated or killed for the cause of Christ.  They realize that “time” is short and eternity is forever, they are willing to spend and be spent.  They are willing to work for excellence without becoming proud, to withstand criticism without becoming bitter, to be misjudged without becoming defensive, and to withstand suffering without succumbing to self-pity.  Now these things that I am writing about are qualities of missionaries, and the truth is that all believers are to be missionaries in the world where the Lord has placed them.

 

            John MacArthur writes “When faithful believers have done everything they can for the Lord to the limit of their abilities and energy, they say to Him, ‘We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done’ (Luke 17:10).   It is to such disciples that the Lord will say in return, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave;…enter into the joy of your master’ (Matt. 25:21).

 

            “William Barclay has succinctly commented, ‘The world ma assess a man’s greatness by the number of people whom he controls and who are at his beck and call’ or by his intellectual standing and his academic eminence; or by the number of committees of which he is a member; or by the size of his bank balance and the material possessions which he has amassed; but in the assessment of Jesus Christ these things are irrelevant.’”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I must be trusting the Lord to work out some issues that are going on in my life at this time, things that I battle with most of the time, things that have always caused me troubles in my desire to walk closely with the Lord. 

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to help me to walk with Him in a humble way, in a way that the enemy who has been tempting me every since I became a believer over 49 years ago to be defeated.

 

5/15/2023 9:01 AM

 

           

 

No comments:

Post a Comment