Saturday, May 20, 2023

PT-2 "Intro to Matt. 20:29-34)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/20/2023 9:23 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                         Focus:  PT-2 “Intro to Matthew 20:29-34”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 20:29-34

 

            Message of the verses:  29 As they were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed Him. 30 And two blind men sitting by the road, hearing that Jesus was passing by, cried out, "Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!" 31 The crowd sternly told them to be quiet, but they cried out all the more, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!" 32 And Jesus stopped and called them, and said, "What do you want Me to do for you?" 33 They said to Him, "Lord, we want our eyes to be opened." 34 Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight and followed Him.”

 

            In yesterday’s SD I mentioned that I thought it would be a very short one, but it seemed to me that the Lord desired for me to add some things that I had not planned on adding.  Perhaps we will mention some of the things from yesterday’s SD later on as we start to dig into these verses about both physical and spiritual blindness.

 

            I think the best way to look at this short introduction is to quote from John MacArthur’s commentary.

 

            “Jesus was now on His way to Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover with His disciples.  Infinitely more important than that, however, He was going there to suffer and die (20:18-19).  He would be celebrating the Passover for the last time and then giving Himself as the one, final, perfect Passover Lamb, sacrificed for the sins of the whole world (Heb. 7:27).

 

            “His arrest, trial, and crucifixion were but a few weeks away.  Why, we may wonder, did He take time to minister to two blind beggars?  IN light of the disciples’ slowness to learn and believe, why did He not spend that last few days alone with them, drilling into them what He so much wanted them to understand?

 

            “The reason was His compassion (v. 34).  When better could Jesus have demonstrated the depth and breadth of divine compassion than while He was on the way to His crucifixion?  The Twelve would one day look back on the healing in Jericho and on all His other acts of mercy and realize that their Lord was never to preoccupied to be compassionate, never in too much of a hurry to heal the afflicted, never  in too much agony Himself to be insensitive to the agony of others.  That realization would be one of the most important lessons they would learn from their Master.  In these few verses is found one of the most beautiful portrayals of the loving compassionate heart of God.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I, like the disciples at this time period, are having a difficult time understanding the compassion of the Lord.  I know that He is compassionate to me, but sometimes, I think, that I just don’t understand all of it.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I am seeking to better understand and realize how much the Lord loves me.  I know that He loves me but I just need to better understand more about His love.

 

5/20/2023 9:42 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment