Thursday, May 11, 2023

PT-2 "The Precept of True Greatness" (Matt. 20:26-27)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/11/2023 10:11 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                   Focus:  PT-2 “The Precept of True Greatness”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 20:26-27

 

            Message of the verses:  26 "It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave;”

 

            In the last SD that I wrote on this subject and I learned that Jesus turned the world’s greatness upside down, and this can be seen in these two verses.  I have to go back and think about what happened to me when the Lord saved me.  I have written about this on different SD’s, but I think that it also fits in here.  I became a believer on the 26th of January in 1974, and I can say that this was really the last thing on my mind at that time.  I was visiting a friend of mine in Florida by myself, as I had gotten married in August of 1973.  This was my second marriage, as the first one ended in a way that was very difficult and hard on me.  Here I was visiting a friend of mine in the sunny south away from the very cold Cleveland, Ohio.  My friend was a manager of a night club near Orlando, Florida.  When I got there he told me about a series of tapes that he had, which were on the end times.  I began to listen to them, one each day.  It was at that time when the Holy Spirit began a work of salvation in my heart, something that I know now was not something that I could do on my own.  It is called an effectual call from the Spirit of God, which is His part in the salvation of men.  God chose me in eternity past, Jesus came to earth and died in my place and the Holy Spirit gives the effectual call, and once that comes to a person they will accept it and thus realize that they are a sinner, and in need of salvation, something they cannot do on their own, and then confess that they are a sinner and invite the Lord Jesus Christ into their life to save them, which is what will happen.  Now why am I writing about my salvation experience in this SD, and what does it have to do with verses 26 and 27 of Matthew 20?  Well in the human sense of things it does not really make sense, as it really when I first became saved it did not all make sense to me. 

 

            These two verses, in a human sense do not really make sense.  Humaningly a person thinks that they must do something on their own in order to make something out of themselves, (to become great).  That is not the right way of looking at things from a Biblical sense.  Let’s look at two verses from Paul’s letters to the Thessalonians.  Nor did we seek glory from men, either from you or from others; even though as apostles of Christ we might have asserted our authority” (1 Thess. 2:6).  “It was for this He called you through our gospel, that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Thess. 2:14).  John MacArthur writes “The way to that divine and eternal glory, which comes from God, is the way of renouncing the worldly and temporal glory that comes from men.  The way to God’s glory is the way of the servant.  Man’s focus must be on rendering spiritual service with consummate excellence and leaving the success of that service to the Lord.”

 

            I hope that in once again giving my testimony of my salvation and then giving this quotation from MacArthur’s commentary shows that it is all about the Lord.  I am not saying that we do not work after we are saved, as I have mentioned many times Ephesians 2:10 “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.”  The work comes after we are saved as we depend on the Holy Spirit to show us what work that we are to do for the Lord.  Sometimes, I suppose many times the Bible shows us things that are the direct opposite of human things.  We bring glory to God by doing what He has called us to do, not what we do humaningly on our own. Once again I go back to what I wrote earlier in this SD and what I wrote in my last SD “Jesus turned the world’s greatness upside down.”  If a believer has the desire to bring glory to the Lord then He must do it His way.

 

            Well I have to say that this SD may seem to be a bit unusual, but I hope that the Lord will allow whoever reads this to make sense of what I am trying to say. 

 

            I will close with a quotation from MacArthur’s commentary and then, Lord willing will try and finish this subject in the next SD.  “Jesus was speaking of being a true servant, not a sham.  He did not have in mind the ‘public servant’ who uses his office for personal gain and power.  Godly greatness comes from genuine humility.  Only God knows a person’s heart, and Paul assures us that the Lord ‘will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts; and then each man’s praise will come to him from God’ (1 Cor. 4:5).’”

 

5/11/2023 10:50 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment