Monday, July 10, 2023

PT-1 "The Characterization" (Matt. 21:28-31a)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/10/2023 9:56 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                          Focus: “The Characterization”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                           Reference:  Matthew 21:28-31a)

 

            Message of the verses:  28 "But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go work today in the vineyard.’ 29 “And he answered and said, ‘I will, sir’; and he did not go. 30 “And he came to the second and said the same thing. But he answered and said, ‘I will not’; yet he afterward regretted it and went. 31“Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said, "The latter.’”

 

            I want to begin by saying that even though we have four plus verses here this will be a very short SD.  This is really a short parable that Jesus is using to teach those who were talking to him, who were the religious people of Jerusalem trying to find out by whose authority He had cleansed the Temple the day before.  This short parable that Jesus is using here characterizes two contrasting responses to the gospel.  And once again He gives His opponents the opportunity to condemn themselves out of their own mouths.

 

            We can see that in the first instance, that the son who was asked to work…in the vineyard actually told his father, “I will, sir,” but he did not go.  The implication is that he had never intended to go and so what he was doing was lying to his father in order to give the false impression of obedience.  Next we see that the second son at first refused to go, saying, “I will not,” but he afterward regretted it and went.

 

            Now when Jesus asked the chief priests and elders, “Which of the two did the will of his father?" they gave the obvious answer, “The latter.”

 

            John MacArthur concludes by writing “Jesus’ point in this story is that doing is more important than mere saying.  It is, of course, best for a person to say he will do God’s will and then do it. But it is immeasurably better to at first refuse His will and then repent and do it than to hypocritically agree to do it by not.  In this context the doing of God’s will relates to acceptance of the gospel, of receiving Jesus as the Messiah and as Savior and Lord.”

 

            Lord willing we will look at the conclusion of this paragraph in which MacArthur entitles “The Connection” in our next SD.  I have to admit that this section of Scripture has been somewhat of a mystery to me and so that makes me excited to study it so that it will not have such a mystery to me.

 

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful that the Author of Scripture, the Holy Spirit is my teacher so that He can cause mysterious sections of Scripture to not be so mysterious and use them in my life.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I trust that the Lord will continue to cause me to understand more from the book of Zechariah as I continue to teach through this book in our Sunday school class.   7/10/2023 10:24 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment