Tuesday, July 4, 2023

PT-3 "The Confrontation" (Matt. 21:23)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/4/2023 10:43 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                      Focus:  PT-3 “The Confrontation”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matthew 21:23

 

            Message of the verse:  23 When He entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to Him while He was teaching, and said, "By what authority are You doing these things, and who gave You this authority?’”

 

            In my last SD I talked about the ordination that the Jewish Rabbi’s went through and I mentioned that this would be compared with what Jesus went through on His ordination, which we actually looked at when we looked at Him riding into Jerusalem on what is called Psalm Sunday.  However Jesus had no ordination like what was talked about in the last SD.  The reason that this is brought up is because this is why the Jewish leaders did not recognize Him as anyone of importance because He was not following their rules.  I guess that one thing that upsets me about these Jewish leaders during the time when Christ was on the earth is that they would brag about how much they knew about the Scriptures, but they missed all of the prophecies about Jesus’ first coming.  Only a few knew who Jesus was because they studied the Scriptures that talked about His first coming.  Do you remember what I started looking at the book of Matthew almost four years ago and in those early SD’s I talked about the circumcision of Jesus and two people knew who He really was, so they would have known about this by studying the Scriptures.  How about the Magi who came from the old land that was called Babylon, and I believe that they came to see Jesus when he was young, but not a baby, and the question is how did they know about His birth.  I think that there are two reasons, and one is because they knew about the prophet Daniel who wrote about the Messiah’s coming to earth and being rejected by those in Israel.  This is seen in the great prophecies of Daniel chapter 9, and I will not take the time to go over it now, but on my Spiritual Diaries it can be found when I went over the book of Matthew.  The bottom line is that these Jewish leaders wanted nothing to do with Jesus because He did not fit into their little religious system, which by the way was mostly false.

 

            We see again in verse twenty-three the words "By what authority,’ then the leaders asked, did He not only teach and preach but even heal the sick, cast out demons, and raise the dead?  Most especially, why had He presumed to take upon Himself—an untrained, unrecognized, self-appointed rabbi—the task of casting the merchants and moneychangers out of the Temple. Although not themselves religious leaders, those men were operating their businesses under the auspices of the Temple authorities.  ‘Who gave you…authority to throw them out?’ those authorities asked Jesus.”  (MacArthur commentaries.)

 

            It does seem strange that although they did not recognize the source of legitimacy of Jesus’ power, as this would be difficult to do, even though at one time they said His power came from Satan. They knew He had the power to do what is described in the paragraph above, but the question was about His authority.  In the history of all time there has never been anyone who has done the miracles that Jesus did while walking on planet earth.  I think that one could say that in the three years while Jesus was on planet earth that He took care of most illness and other problems the people had in Israel, and yet we get these questions about His authority from the Jewish leaders.  “The miracles were so obvious, numerous, and well attested that the religious leaders never doubted that Jesus performed them, having seen many of them with their own eyes” writes John MacArthur.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I know that I have been hard on these Jewish leaders, but the truth is that Jesus was hard on them too. I think that one thing that I do in my morning prayer time is to ask the Lord to search my heart as found at the end of Psalm 139 is so that I don’t have any sin that is unconfessed in my life, perhaps sins that are similar to these Jewish leaders.  Salvation was given to me free and so the truth is that I have nothing to boast about, but I do owe everything to the Lord.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Praise the Lord for the free gift of salvation, remembering that although it is free to me, that it cost the Father the death of His Son to provide it for me, and for that I am eternally thankful.

 

7/4/2023 11:43 AM

             

No comments:

Post a Comment