Saturday, July 29, 2023

PT-5 "The Invitation Rejected" (Matt. 22:1-6)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/29/2023 9:44 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                              Focus:  PT-5 “The Invitation Rejected”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 22:1-6

 

            Message of the verses:  1 Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. 3 “And he sent out his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding feast, and they were unwilling to come. 4 “Again he sent out other slaves saying, ‘Tell those who have been invited, "Behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and my fattened livestock are all butchered and everything is ready; come to the wedding feast."’ 5 "But they paid no attention and went their way, one to his own farm, another to his business, 6 and the rest seized his slaves and mistreated them and killed them.”

 

            Before I begin to look at these verses this morning I want to say that this will SD number 10,000 that I have posted on my blogs.  It all began on the 25th of July, 2011 while sitting in our kitchen on the island of Kauai.  I had just began to look at the book of Nehemiah and so I thought it was time to begin my first blog posting.  A little over twelve years later, and after having two blogs this will be number 10,000.  It is my desire to follow the theme verse of my blogs 2 Timothy 2:15 “Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.  It is my desire to learn from the verses that I am looking at and then to pass them onto those who will read them in order to bring glory to the Lord who saved me 49 and a half years ago.  Since that first blog was posted there have been over 350,000 of these Spiritual Diaries that have been looked at, and I must say that there have been more Spiritual Diaries looked at this year than any one year before, due to the great interest from the nation of Singapore.  To God be the glory great things He has done.

 

            Now back to Matthew 22 as we want to begin by writing about the slaves God sent to call again and again those who had been invited who were John the Baptist, Jesus Himself in His preaching-teaching ministry, and the New Testament apostles, prophets, and other preachers and teachers.  New Testament preachers were also slaves too because their message pertained to the King’s Son Jesus Christ.  Now God was saying to Israel, His already-invited guests, much the same as He had said from heaven at Jesus’ baptism:  “Here is My Son; come and give Him honor.”  We know that John the Baptist was rejected and beheaded, Jesus was rejected and then crucified, and the apostles and prophets were rejected and persecuted, many were also put to death.

 

            MacArthur writes “The indifferent guests in the parable represent people who are preoccupied with daily living and personal pursuits.  They are essentially the secular-minded, those who are interested in the here and now and have no interest in spiritual things.  They are the materialists, whose primary interest is accumulating things, and the ambitious, whose main concern is ‘getting ahead.’  They are not usually antagonistic to the things of God but simply have not time for them.

 

            “Those who are actively hostile to the gospel invariably are people involved in false religion, including the many forms of humanistic religion that parade under the guise of philosophy, mysticism, or scientism.  The history of persecution of God’s people shows that the chief persecutor has been false religion.  It is the purveyors of error who are the aggressive enemies of truth, and it is therefore inevitable that, as God’s Word predicts, the final world system of the antichrist will be religious, not secular.

 

            “The fact that the kings sent his messengers on two different occasions cannot be pressed to mean that only two calls were extended or that the first group consisted of John the Baptist and Jesus and the second consisted of the apostles.  The parable makes no distinction in the types of slaves, or messengers.  The point of the two callings of the invited guests was to illustrate God’s gracious patience and forbearance with the rejecters, His willingness to call Israel again and again—as John the Baptist had done for perhaps a year, as Jesus did for three years, and as the apostles did for some forty years, until Jerusalem and the Temple were destroyed in A. D. 70.”

 

            I gave this rather long quote from MacArthur’s commentary because it brought some things to my mind that I certainly did not conclude from this portion of this parable.  By the way both John MacArthur and the late Warren Wiersbe have been two people who have helped me in my quest to better understand the Bible, and I am thankful to both of them.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It is my desire to reach the kind of people that are described in this parable, as I know many who fall into the category that are similar to those who heard the message, but had to them, more important things to do than hear the Word of God.

 

            My Steps of Faith for Today:  “Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.  Lord willing to begin 10,001 & 10,002 tomorrow.

 

7/29/2023 10:14 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment