Tuesday, July 21, 2026

PT-2 “The Commands of Kingdom Love” (Luke 6:27-28)

 

MORNING SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/21/2026 8:48 AM

My Worship Time                                             Focus: PT-2 “The Commands of Kingdom Love”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                                 Reference:  Luke 6:27-28

            Message of the verses:  “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”

            I want to continue looking at these verses in this morning’s SD.

            I begin with a quotation from John MacArthur’s commentary: “Paradoxically, love and hate are linked in connection with the gospel.  The Lord’s command to the apostles in John 15:17, ‘This I command you, that you love one another’ was followed immediately by a warning that the world would hate them (vv. 18-19).”  “18 ¶  "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19  If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.”  “Since sinners love darkness rather than light (John 3:19), and believers are children of the light (Eph. 5:8), who present Jesus Christ as the light of the world (John 8:12), they can expect to be hated by the world.”

(John 3:19)

“19  And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.”

(Eph. 5:8)

“8  for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light”

(John 8:12)

“12 ¶  Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’”

            “Surprisingly, the most intense hatred always comes from religious people.  Nothing is more precious to religious sinners than the illusion of their virtue and lofty position before God.  They in effect erect their own personal tower of Babel, a monument to their own supposed piosity.  But the gospel strips away sinners’ religious veneer of self-righteousness and reveals them to be wretched, helpless, blind rebels, facing eternal judgment.  In response to being unmasked, they lash out in hatred at those who proclaim the truth to them.

            “When believers face hatred, they are to respond by seeking the welfare of those who hate them, thereby reinforcing their supernatural love.  The credibility of the gospel is at stake and believers must love the lost evangelistically.

            “Christ’s disciples must not only manifest love for their enemies by what they do, but also by what they say.  Instead of reviling them, they are to bless those who curse them; to say good things in response to their evil words.  Many of Christ’s followers were vilified, cursed, and ostracized in an unofficial way, just as Jesus had warned would happen (Matt. 10:35-37; Luke 12:51-53).”

(Matt. 10:35-37; Luke 12:51-53)

35  For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36  And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household. 37  Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”

“51  Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52  For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. 53  They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.’’

“Others were cursed in an official way by being excommunicated from the synagogue, which Jesus had also predicted would be the case (John 16:2; cf. 9:22; 34; 12:42).

(John 16:2; cf. 9:22; 34; 12:42)

“2  They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God.”

“22  (His parents said these things because they feared the Jews, for the Jews had already agreed that if anyone should confess Jesus to be Christ, he was to be put out of the synagogue.)

“34  They answered him, “You were born in utter sin, and would you teach us?” And they cast him out.”

“42 ¶  Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue;”

            “This command does not preclude warning unbelievers of the consequences of their sin, as the Lord Himself did (cf. 6:24-26; Matt. 23:13-36).

(cf. 6:24-26; Matt. 23:13-36)

“24  "But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. 25  “Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry. ”Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep. 26  "Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.”

(I will not quote Matthew 23:13-36 because of the length of it.

“Apart from such warnings, there could be no conviction of sin (cf. John  17:7-11).”

(cf. John  17:7-11)

“7  Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. 8  For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9  I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10  All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 ¶  And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.”

“Unbelievers must be confronted with the reality that apart from repentance from sin and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ they are cursed (1 Cor. 16:7-11).”

(1 Cor. 16:7-11)

“7  For I do not want to see you now just in passing. I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. 8  But I will stay in Ephesus until Pentecost, 9  for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries. 10 ¶  When Timothy comes, that see that you put him at ease among you, for he is doing the work of the Lord, as I am. 11  So let no one despise him. Help him on his way in peace, that he may return to me, for I am expecting him with the brothers.”

“But when Christ’s followers confront sinners they must, like Paul, have an attitude of deep concern and love for them (cf. Rom. 9:1-3; 10:1).”

(cf. Rom. 9:1-3; 10:1)

“1 ¶  I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— 2  that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3  For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.”

“1 ¶  Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved.”

“And, like Paul, they must be willing to pay whatever price is necessary to take the gospel to the lost (cf. 1 Cor. 9:22: 2 Cor. 11:22-33).”

(cf. 1 Cor. 9:22: 2 Cor. 11:22-33)

“22  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.”

I am not going to quote 2 Cor. 11:22-33 because of the length of it.

            “Finally, Jesus commanded His followers to pray for those who mistreat them.  Specifically in this context, they are to pray for their salvation, as Jesus (Luke 23:34) and Stephen (Acts 7:59-60) did.”

(Luke 23:34)

34  Jesus said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me.’”

“59  And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60  And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.”

7/21/2026 10:27 AM

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment