Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Wisdom's Call to True Wealth PT-2 (Pr. 8:22-36)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/2/2013 11:42 AM

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  Wisdom’s Call to True Wealth PT-2

Bible Reading & Meditation                         Reference:  Proverbs 8:22-36

            Message of the verses:  We will look at the last two sub-points in today’s SD.

            You can see My works” (vv.22-31):  “22 ¶  "The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old. 23  "From everlasting I was established, From the beginning, from the earliest times of the earth. 24  "When there were no depths I was brought forth, When there were no springs abounding with water. 25  "Before the mountains were settled, Before the hills I was brought forth; 26  While He had not yet made the earth and the fields, Nor the first dust of the world. 27  "When He established the heavens, I was there, When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep, 28  When He made firm the skies above, When the springs of the deep became fixed, 29  When He set for the sea its boundary So that the water would not transgress His command, When He marked out the foundations of the earth; 30  Then I was beside Him, as a master workman; And I was daily His delight, Rejoicing always before Him, 31  Rejoicing in the world, His earth, And having my delight in the sons of men.”

            As I began to read over this section, and have read over it on different occasions the thought came to me that I wonder if this section is speaking of Jesus Christ.  There were reasons that I thought it was and reasons that I thought it did not.  Dr. Wiersbe writes the following “While  it isn’t a description of Jesus Christ, for the eternal Son of God was never created, it does foreshadow Christ as the creative Word that brought everything into being (John 1:1-4); Col 2:3).  All I can say is that while walking on my treadmill this morning I was watching a sermon that John MacArthur gave a few weeks ago and his sermon was from John 1:1-14 and He also mentioned Col. 2:3.  My question is not answered.

            I have also mentioned that I am reading a book by A. W. Tozer entitled “The Knowledge of the Holy,” which has to do with the attributes of God, and of course one of God’s attributes is wisdom, and one of the great ways that we can see God’s wisdom is in the creation of the world along with all the universe.  We can look at things like computers, and cars and think of all the wisdom that it took to invent and reinvent things like this, but that is nothing compared to God’s wisdom in creating and sustaining the universe.  Solomon speaks of this in this paragraph talking about things like the creation of the world and part of that creation was keeping the water in the seas and stopping where God wanted it to stop.  Think about the moon and what the moon has to do with the tides of the oceans and how it can be figured out when the high and low tides will happen.  Think about when the sun comes up and goes down and this too can be seen far off into the future because God is in control of it.  All of these things demonstrate God’s attribute of wisdom. 

            Dr. Wiersbe concludes this section with these words, “When we belong to Jesus Christ and walk in His wisdom, all of creation works for us; if we rebel against His wisdom and will, things start to work against us, as Jonah discovered when he tried to run away from God.”

            “You must make a decision!” (vv. 32-36):  “32 ¶  "Now therefore, O sons, listen to me, For blessed are they who keep my ways. 33  "Heed instruction and be wise, And do not neglect it. 34  "Blessed is the man who listens to me, Watching daily at my gates, Waiting at my doorposts. 35  "For he who finds me finds life And obtains favor from the LORD. 36  "But he who sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death.’”

            I want to compare Proverbs 8:35-36 with John 3:36, “35  "For he who finds me finds life And obtains favor from the LORD. 36  "But he who sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death.’”  ‘”He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.’”

            As we look at these verses from Proverbs and from the Gospel of John we see that there is a decision to be made, a decision that will result between life and death, heaven and hell.  There are no grey areas only black and white, your either believe that Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life and that no one can come to the Father but through Him because of His work that He did on the cross or you reject Him and the work that He did on the cross for you and perish. “11 ¶  Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. 12  And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. 13  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. 14  Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15  And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire (Rev. 20:11-15).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  God’s wisdom is not only seen in creation, but in salvation.  The Bible says that the wages of sin is death, and that Jesus Christ died for the payment of sin, a payment that no man could have given in the way that Jesus Christ did, for He is the perfect Son of God, born of a virgin so that the sin nature was not passed on to Him as Genesis 3:15 foretold.  What wonderful wisdom is seen in all of this.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust that the Holy Spirit will bring people into my lives that He has prepared to hear the truth of the Gospel.

Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 121:1-3

            1 I will lift up my eyes to the mountains, from where shall my help come?  2 My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.  3 He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.

1/2/2013 12:38 PM 

 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment