Monday, April 1, 2013

A Sovereign God (Studies in Proverbs)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/1/2013 9:17 AM
My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  A Sovereign God
Bible Reading & Meditation                                        Reference:  Studies in Proverbs
            Message of the verses:  We will continue looking at the last chapter in Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on the book of Proverbs by looking at the next aspect of “This Is Our God,” which is His sovereignty. 
A Sovereign God
            Isn’t it wonderful to get up in the morning knowing that the sun will rise as a specific time and will set at a specific time, that the high tides will come in when they are suppose to and go out when they are suppose to.  Things like these happen because of a Sovereign God who is in control of all things.  Dr. A. T. Pierson puts it this way “History is His story,” and because God is sovereign history is His story.  Let us look at Proverbs 16:4 “The LORD works out everything for his own ends—even the wicked for a day of disaster.”  Then we will look at Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.”  An as a Christian believer I can also look at Colossians 1:16, “For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things have been created through Him and for Him.”  This verse gives me confidence that not only God create all things but is in control of all things.
            In his commentary on this subject of God’s Sovereignty Dr. Wiersbe quotes Charles H. Spurgeon from a sermon that he gave on Feb. 4, 1866 in which he states “No doctrine in the whole Word of God has more excited the hatred of mankind than the truth of the absolute sovereignty of God.  The fact that ‘the Lord reigneth’ is indisputable, and it is this fact that arouses the utmost opposition of the unrenewed human heart.”  I suppose we should ask the question why this statement is true.  One of the things that comes to my mind when I think about this is the theory of evolution and the reason why this comes to my mind is because I believe that Satan is behind evolution and one of the reasons is when a person believes in evolution and not what the Bible reaches about creation they are accountable to no one.  Another thing that I think about goes back to the first sin that mankind every committed and the reason why it was committed.  I believe that Eve though that God was cheating her by holding back something from her, and what that was that He was holding back was telling her about evil.  Once her and Adam sinned everything changed for them and for us too because sin is rebellion against God.  When we sin against God we are saying that He is not in charge and I can do whatever I want to do, I don’t care that He is sovereign.
            God’s sovereignty does not destroy human responsibility and then turn humans into robots as some would say.  “To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue (Pr. 16:1).”  Proverbs 16:33 states “The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.”  Verse nine of Proverbs sixteen:  “A man’s heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.”  Dr. Wiersbe writes “God expects us to study, think, weigh possibilities, and make decisions, but we dare not ‘lean on our own understanding’ Pr. 3:5).  God promises to give wisdom to those who ask (James 1:5) and to direct those are willing to obey (Pr. 3:5-6).” 
            I have already mentioned that God is the creator of all things and He is sovereign in nature.  19  The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens. 20  By His knowledge the deeps were broken up And the skies drip with dew (Pr. 3:19-20).”  Pr. 8:22-31 “22 ¶  "The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old. 23  "From everlasting I was established, From the beginning, from the earliest times of the earth. 24  "When there were no depths I was brought forth, When there were no springs abounding with water. 25  "Before the mountains were settled, Before the hills I was brought forth; 26  While He had not yet made the earth and the fields, Nor the first dust of the world. 27  "When He established the heavens, I was there, When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep, 28  When He made firm the skies above, When the springs of the deep became fixed, 29  When He set for the sea its boundary So that the water would not transgress His command, When He marked out the foundations of the earth; 30  Then I was beside Him, as a master workman; And I was daily His delight, Rejoicing always before Him, 31  Rejoicing in the world, His earth, And having my delight in the sons of men.”  Pr. 30:4 “Who has ascended into heaven and descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has wrapped the waters in His garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name or His son’s name? Surely you know!”  (Sounds a bit like something Job said.) 
            God is also sovereign in history:  “22 ¶  So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, "Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects. 23  "For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, ’TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you. 24  "The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25  nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26  and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27  that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28  for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ’For we also are His children’ (Acts 17:22-28).”  Daniel 4:17, 34-35 “"This sentence is by the decree of the angelic watchers And the decision is a command of the holy ones, In order that the living may know That the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind, And bestows it on whom He wishes And sets over it the lowliest of men."  34 ¶  "But at the end of that period, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever; For His dominion is an everlasting dominion, And His kingdom endures from generation to generation. 35  "All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, But He does according to His will in the host of heaven And among the inhabitants of earth; And no one can ward off His hand Or say to Him, ’What have You done?’”  Pr. 1:15 “"By me kings reign, And rulers decree justice.”  Pr. 21:1 “The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.”  Pr. 21:30 “There is no wisdom or understanding Or counsel against the LORD.”
            Dr. Wiersbe writes “Keep in mind that the God who decrees the end—His purposes—also decrees the means to the end.  If He determines to overthrow Pharaoh and deliver Israel from Egypt, He also decrees that Moses and Aaron go to Egypt to confront Pharaoh.  If He purposes to bring Israel into the Promised Land, He also decrees that Joshua shall be trained to lead them.  If He purposes to win lost souls, He also decrees that a witness will share the Gospel.  ‘An how shall they hear without a preacher?  And how shall they preach unless they are sent?’ (Romans. 10:14-15, NKJV).”
            I have heard from different people that if you truly believe that God is sovereign then why do you go out and witness to the lost if God is going to save them any way.  My answer has always been I do this because the Bible teaches me to do it.  I am truly amazed that God will use me in doing something like telling others about how they can change their eternal address from going to hell to going to heaven.  I truly believe that God does give His children Divine Appointments, as this has happened to me on different occasions. This is the Sovereign Lord accomplishing His will in my life and allowing me to be a part of telling others about how to be saved.  God is on His throne and He controls all things and for that I am glade beyond belief.  Romans 8:28 states “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”  Dr. Wiersbe speaking about our role in telling others about Jesus Christ states “Our task is to obey and share the message; His responsibility is to save those who believe.”
            A part of God’s Sovereignty is knowing what is going on in the world He created, knowing the thoughts of people’s minds, knowing their actions and deeds.  “For the ways of a man are before the eyes of the LORD, And He watches all his paths (Pr. 5:21).”  Proverbs 15:3 “The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good.”  Pr. 21:2 “Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the hearts.” Pr. 24:12 “If you say, "But we knew nothing about this," does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?” 
            Dr. Wiersbe concludes this portion of his commentary on the Sovereign God by writing “It’s encouraging to know that ‘the Lord reigns’ (Ps. 93:1) and that His righteous purposes will be fulfilled.  Let’s be sure that we’re walking with Him on the path of life, surrendered to His will and seeking to honor His name.” 
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I trust that God is both Sovereign and Just along with being love, and because of this I can trust Him to work in my life so that I can bring honor and glory to my Lord who took my place on the cross. 
My Steps of Faith for Today:   I like the last statement Dr. Wiersbe made for my steps of faith for today:
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:7-9
            7 You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah.  8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.  9 Do not be like the horse or the mule which have no understanding, whose trappings include bit and bridle to hold them in check, otherwise they will not  come near you.
Answer to Yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Reuben” (Gen. 35:23)
Today’s Bible Question:  “Where were the Levites and Priests required to live during their period of temple services?”
Answer in tomorrow’s SD.
4/1/2013 11:21 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment