Saturday, April 20, 2013

Solomon Hated Life (Eccl. 2:18-23)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/20/2013 1:16 PM
My Worship Time                                                                       Focus:  Solomon Hated Life PT-2
Bible Reading & Meditation                                          Reference:  Eccl. 2:18-23
            Message of the verse:  We will look at the second part of Solomon hated life in today’s SD.
            He considered his wealth (vv. 2:18-23):  “18 Thus I hated all the fruit of my labor for which I had labored under the sun, for I must leave it to the man who will come after me. 19 And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the fruit of my labor for which I have labored by acting wisely under the sun. This too is vanity. 20 Therefore I completely despaired of all the fruit of my labor for which I had labored under the sun. 21 When there is a man who has labored with wisdom, knowledge and skill, then he gives his legacy to one who has not labored with them. This too is vanity and a great evil. 22 For what does a man get in all his labor and in his striving with which he labors under the sun? 23 Because all his days his task is painful and grievous; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is vanity.”
            We will begin to look at three reasons why Solomon had a great disgust for his wealth.
1.                  You can’t keep it (vs. 18).  “For I must leave it to the man who will come after me.”  I suppose most people have heard the saying that there is no “U-Haul” trailer that follows a hearse. Job says in 1:21 He said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.”  Jesus told a parable in Luke 12:13-21 about a rich fool who was about to die and leave all his wealth.  Dr. Wiersbe quotes a Jewish proverb which says “there are no pockets in shrouds.”  I think we get the point.  What is money?  “an article which may be used as a universal passport to everywhere except heaven, and as a universal provider of everything except happiness (Wall Street Journal Writer). As far a believer’s we are stewards of what the Lord has given us to look after for Him, and Jesus told a parable about this too.  I once heard one of my Pastors say that you can’t keep it but you can send it ahead.  Matthew 6:19-21 states “  19 ¶  "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20  "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21  for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
2.      We can’t protect it (vs. 19-20):  “19  And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the fruit of my labor for which I have labored by acting wisely under the sun. This too is vanity. 20  Therefore I completely despaired of all the fruit of my labor for which I had labored under the sun.”  I once heard a story about a rich man whose family did not come to visit him to often which was of course upsetting to him.  He decided that he would put an ATM machine where he was buried and then his family would come and visit him in order to get their inheritance.  The man could not only not take it with him, but it does not seem like he really trusted those to whom he was leaving it too, which is what Solomon is writing about in this section.  Solomon states suppose he is a fool, and I don’t know if that was exactly the correct description of Rehoboam, but it comes pretty close.
3.      We can’t enjoy it as we should (vs. 21-23):  21  When there is a man who has labored with wisdom, knowledge and skill, then he gives his legacy to one who has not labored with them. This too is vanity and a great evil. 22  For what does a man get in all his labor and in his striving with which he labors under the sun? 23  Because all his days his task is painful and grievous; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is vanity.”  Solomon was worrying about who would spend all the money he had accumulated throughout his years and it even kept him awake at night.  I suppose that there are many rich people around the world that have this problem, but I can honestly say that this is not something that would keep me up late at night.  Jesus tells us not to worry because we cannot control what tomorrow brings, but God can.  Paul writes “6  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:6-7).” 
Dr. Wiersbe concludes this section with these words:  “At this point, Solomon appears to be very pessimistic, but he doesn’t remain that way very long.  In a step of faith he reaches the third state in his experiment.”  We will look at that tomorrow:  “He Accepted Life.”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I see God as One who can control all of my problems if I let Him in this section.  Money worries should not be a concern to me, especially if I allow the Lord to handle them with His great wisdom.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to help me make wise decisions today and every day, especially with what comes out of my mouth.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:7-11
            7 You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance.  Selah.  8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with my eyes upon you.  9 Do not be as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, whose trappings include bit and bridle to keep the in check, otherwise they would not come near you.  10 Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but he who trusts in the LORD lovingkindness shall surround you.  11 Be glade in the LORD and rejoice, you righteous ones; and shout for joy, all you who are upright I heart.
Answer to yesterdays Bible question:  “Samson” (Judges 16:17)
Today’s Bible Question:  “Of what country was Benhadad king?”
Answer in tomorrow’s SD.  
4/20/2013 2:49 PM
           

No comments:

Post a Comment