Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Quest for her Husband (Song of Solomon 5:2-9)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/25/2013 10:08 AM
My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  The Quest for her Husband
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Song of Solomon 5:2-9
            Message of the verses: We begin a new section in the Song of Solomon which goes from chapter five and verse two until the end of the book which is chapter eight and verse fourteen.
            When the people from Israel first got married their friends and family treated them like royalty for a week, but then it was the beginning of a new life for the couple with all of life’s ups and downs.  Dr. Wiersbe has a very interesting endnote the helps us understand about how “honeymoon” came into our culture:  “Honeymoon’ came into the English vocabulary in the 16th century to identify the first month after marriage when the newlyweds showed special tenderness and love toward each other.  Their new relationship was as sweet as honey, but it might end with the changing of the moon.  Married people have their ups and downs, but there’s no reason why their relationship should decay instead of develop.”
            The Quest for her Husband:  (5:2-9):  “2 ¶ “I was asleep but my heart was awake. A voice! My beloved was knocking: ’Open to me, my sister, my darling, My dove, my perfect one! For my head is drenched with dew, My locks with the damp of the night.’ 3 “I have taken off my dress, How can I put it on again? I have washed my feet, How can I dirty them again? 4 “My beloved extended his hand through the opening, And my feelings were aroused for him. 5 “I arose to open to my beloved; And my hands dripped with myrrh, And my fingers with liquid myrrh, On the handles of the bolt. 6 “I opened to my beloved, But my beloved had turned away and had gone! My heart went out to him as he spoke. I searched for him but I did not find him; I called him but he did not answer me. 7 “The watchmen who make the rounds in the city found me, They struck me and wounded me; The guardsmen of the walls took away my shawl from me. 8 “I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, If you find my beloved, As to what you will tell him: For I am lovesick." 9 "What kind of beloved is your beloved, O most beautiful among women? What kind of beloved is your beloved, That thus you adjure us?’”
            This is a dream, not unlike the dream that she had in chapter three and verses one through four.  It makes sense to look at this as a dream that the Shulamite had, for after all she was married to the king and if it was real and she did go out into the city at night then no one would harm her for after all she was married to the king.  When we look back at the other dream we find out that it also took place at night so let us take a moment to see why things that take place in the dark are often bad:  “John 9:4  "We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming when no one can work. John 11:10  "But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him." John 13:30  So after receiving the morsel he went out immediately; and it was night.”  (This verse is talking about Judas betrayal of Jesus)  “5 ¶ This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6  If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7  but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
    8 ¶ If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. (1John 1:5-10)
            When we look at how the New Jerusalem is illuminated we see that it is actually done by God for God is light. 
            In this dream the Shulamite had gone to bed and locked the door without her husband and he wanted to come in, (probably for romantic reasons), but she was already in bed.  Once she could smell the aroma of her husband when he put his hand through the door she wanted to go and get him, but he had left, it was too late.  She searched for him, and this time she became injured from the guards in the city, probably thinking she was a prostitute.  At the end of the story she tells the daughters of Jerusalem how handsome her husband was.
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Sometimes in life I don’t make the correct decisions when I should and like the Shulamite I regret that and wish that I would remember Proverbs 3:5-6 at that time to avoid making the wrong decision.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Proverbs 3:5-6.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 46:1-3
            1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  2 Therefore we will not fear, though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; 3 though its water roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah.
Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Jeremiah”
Today’s Bible question:  “How much manna was each man to gather on the sixth day?”
Answer in tomorrow’s SD.
6/25/2013 11:02 AM   
           

No comments:

Post a Comment