Tuesday, June 18, 2013

True Love is like a Banquet PT-1 (Song of Solomon 1:2-7)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/18/2013 6:20 AM
My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  True Love is like a Banquet PT-1
Bible Reading & Meditation                                  Reference:  Song of Solomon 1:2-7)
            Message of the verses:  Let’s begin with an end note on the word love that Warren Wiersbe writes at the end of his commentary:  “The word ‘love’ is in the plural in 1:2 and 4, 4:10, and 7:12, and can be translated ‘love-making,’ the king’s actions and not just his feelings toward her.  However, the Shulamite and the king do not consummate their love until after they are married (4:12-5:1).  Premarital sex was not acceptable in Israel.  If the bride was accused of premarital sin, she and her parents had to provide public proof of her virginity (Deut. 22:13-21).”
            We are going to look at the first sub-section under the first main section of this book in which Dr. Wiersbe entitles “Anticipation:  The Courtship.”  We spoke of premarital sex as being a sin in the endnote above, and Dr. Wiersbe has another endnote that goes along with this sin of premarital sexual relationship.  “This repeated admonition to the unmarried daughters of Jerusalem is a warning against premarital sex.  The Shulamite wants them to remain pure in mind and body so they will enter into the full joy of married love at the right time and with the right person.  No matter what society does and the law permits, the Bible knows nothing of unmarried couples living together as though married.  Some things are legal that may not be biblical.”
            We see in this first section, verses 1:2-2:7 a part of the courtship between the Shulamite woman and Solomon:  “2 ¶  "May he kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine. 3 “Your oils have a pleasing fragrance, Your name is like purified oil; Therefore the maidens love you. 4 “Draw me after you and let us run together! The king has brought me into his chambers." "We will rejoice in you and be glad; We will extol your love more than wine. Rightly do they love you." 5 “I am black but lovely, O daughters of Jerusalem, Like the tents of Kadar, Like the curtains of Solomon. 6 “Do not stare at me because I am swarthy, For the sun has burned me. My mother’s sons were angry with me; They made me caretaker of the vineyards, But I have not taken care of my own vineyard.
    7 ¶ “Tell me, O you whom my soul loves, Where do you pasture your flock, Where do you make it lie down at noon? For why should I be like one who veils herself Beside the flocks of your companions?" 8 “If you yourself do not know, Most beautiful among women, Go forth on the trail of the flock And pasture your young goats By the tents of the shepherds. 9 “To me, my darling, you are like My mare among the chariots of Pharaoh. 10 “Your cheeks are lovely with ornaments, Your neck with strings of beads." 11 “We will make for you ornaments of gold With beads of silver."
    12 ¶ “While the king was at his table, My perfume gave forth its fragrance. 13 “My beloved is to me a pouch of myrrh Which lies all night between my breasts. 14 “My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blossoms In the vineyards of Engedi." 15 “How beautiful you are, my darling, How beautiful you are! Your eyes are like doves." 16 “How handsome you are, my beloved, And so pleasant! Indeed, our couch is luxuriant! 17 “The beams of our houses are cedars, Our rafters, cypresses.
    1 ¶ “I am the rose of Sharon, The lily of the valleys." 2 “Like a lily among the thorns, So is my darling among the maidens."
    3 ¶ “Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest, So is my beloved among the young men. In his shade I took great delight and sat down, And his fruit was sweet to my taste. 4 “He has brought me to his banquet hall, And his banner over me is love. 5 “Sustain me with raisin cakes, Refresh me with apples, Because I am lovesick. 6 “Let his left hand be under my head And his right hand embrace me." 7 “I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the hinds of the field, That you do not arouse or awaken my love Until she pleases.’”
            At the end of his commentary Dr. Wiersbe writes that this book is probably a book that is not preached on from its entirety, but a book that should be taught to men and women who are engaged, more like a course on marriage before they are married.  As I make my way through the Bible, trying to comment on all of the verses in it this book was the next one that I am studying and so I will do my best to write truthfully about is as I endure to do this in all the things that I write about the Scriptures that I am studying each day.  I must admit that this book is a little out of my comfort zone, but because it is a part of the Word of God it is worth studying.
            As we look at this rather long section of Scripture there are some phrases in it that are rather foreign to many, to which I will do my best to try and make more understandable.  We see at first in this section that the Shulamite is speaking to Solomon, telling him of her love for him, and tells him that his love is better than wine.  Wine will have a short lived effect on a person where as love is to last for a lifetime.  We see in verse four that she desires for him to take her with him, and in earlier verses that she speaks of expressions of his love which include kisses.  Next we see that Solomon will take her to his chambers for a great banquet that has been prepared for her, and we see that the women of Jerusalem approve of this.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “There are four parties involved in marriage:  the bride, the groom, society, and the Lord.  Other people don’t choose our mates for us, but the approval of godly friends is a great encouragement.  The women express their approval of the king and run after them as they go to the banquet in the king’s chambers.”
            The Shulamite seems to be embarrassed because she had to work out in the fields of her brothers and did not take care of herself as she should of.  She mentions her being black, but she is talking about being tanned because of all her work out in the sun.  The tents of Kedar were made out of the black hair of goats, and the woman though she looked like them, which embarrassed her, but Solomon continues to speak of her beauty.  The way that Solomon speaks of her beauty was surely a way that was understood in that time, but I don’t think that men will use these same words to women today and get the same response that he got from the Shulamite.  Solomon speaks of her beauty as a mare pulling a chariot.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “No sensible charioteer would ever put a mare among stallions!  But Solomon was only saying, ‘You are unique—one among many, unique, very special.’”  We know that Solomon knew about horses as he had many, which a matter of  fact was against the Law for kings to have a lot of horses, because they were used for battle, and the Lord wanted His people to rely on Him, and not horses.
            We will pick up on the company arriving at the banquet in the next SD.
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I begin to study the Song of Solomon I am thankful to the Lord that He has included this book in His Holy Word to give instructions to the young people before they engage in marriage. 
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to study God’s Word each day, and trust His Spirit to be my teacher.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 46:1-2
            1 God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.  2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Luke.”
Today’s Bible Question:  “During the plague of flies in Egypt, what area had no flies?
Answer in tomorrow’s SD.
6/18/2013 7:20 AM     

No comments:

Post a Comment