Wednesday, August 14, 2013

God Anounces the Victory & The Oracles concerning Assyria (Isaiah 21:1-10 & 14:24-27)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/14/2013 9:23 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  God announces the Victory

Bible Reading & Meditation                                   Reference:  Isaiah 21:1-10; 14:24-27

            Message of the verse:  We have been looking at some of the things that Isaiah has written about Babylon in the last few Spiritual Diaries.  We mentioned that the things that he is writing about certain nations (10 nations) are called burdens for it was a burden for him to write them.  Today we will look at the final thing that he writes about Babylon in the section we are looking at now.

            God announces the victory (Isaiah 21:1-10):  “1 ¶ The oracle (burden) concerning the wilderness of the sea. As windstorms in the Negev sweep on, It comes from the wilderness, from a terrifying land. 2 A harsh vision has been shown to me; The treacherous one still deals treacherously, and the destroyer still destroys. Go up, Elam, lay siege, Media; I have made an end of all the groaning she has caused. 3 For this reason my loins are full of anguish; Pains have seized me like the pains of a woman in labor. I am so bewildered I cannot hear, so terrified I cannot see. 4 My mind reels, horror overwhelms me; The twilight I longed for has been turned for me into trembling. 5 They set the table, they spread out the cloth, they eat, they drink; "Rise up, captains, oil the shields," 6 For thus the Lord says to me, "Go, station the lookout, let him report what he sees. 7 “When he sees riders, horsemen in pairs, A train of donkeys, a train of camels, Let him pay close attention, very close attention." 8 Then the lookout called, "O Lord, I stand continually by day on the watchtower, And I am stationed every night at my guard post. 9 “Now behold, here comes a troop of riders, horsemen in pairs." And one said, "Fallen, fallen is Babylon; And all the images of her gods are shattered on the ground." 10 O my threshed people, and my afflicted of the threshing floor! What I have heard from the LORD of hosts, The God of Israel, I make known to you.”

Dr. Wiersbe sys that the “wilderness of the sea” is probably the area around the Persian Gulf, and goes on to say that the Assyrians attacked the Babylonians in 689 B. C. Once the Assyrians defeated the Babylonians it opened up the area he mentions as the wilderness of the sea and thus they would take charge of all of it.

The reason that Isaiah felt the pain of Babylonians defeat was because this would allow the Assyrians to defeat the Northern Kingdom of Israel.  If it would have been in 539 the Jews would have rejoiced: for it would have meant release from captivity.  However in 689 Babylon’s defeat meant the destruction of the Northern Kingdom and the devastation of the Southern Kingdom. The phrase that Isaiah writes “Babylon is fallen, is fallen” is also seen in Jeremiah 51:8 and then John writes the same phrase in Revelations 14:8 and also 18:2.  John writes this in Revelations because the religious and political system of Babylon will be defeated for the last time as shortly after this the Lord Jesus Christ will triumphal return to earth to reclaim the earth for the glory of God.

I have mentioned that we will be looking at ten different nations that Isaiah is writing about and so because the next one he writes about, Assyria, is very short, just four verses I want to look at it today too.

Assyria (Isaiah 14:24-27):  “24 The LORD of hosts has sworn saying, "Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand, 25 to break Assyria in My land, and I will trample him on My mountains. Then his yoke will be removed from them and his burden removed from their shoulder. 26 “This is the plan devised against the whole earth; and this is the hand that is stretched out against all the nations. 27 “For the LORD of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?’”

While we were studying the fourth chapter of the book of Daniel we heard Nebuchadnezzar say these words, “"All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, But He does according to His will in the host of heaven And among the inhabitants of earth; And no one can ward off His hand Or say to Him, ’What have You done?’  Elsewhere in Daniel Nebuchadnezzar will also state that it is God who raises up nations and then brings them down again and we see the same idea in his short section of the 14th chapter of Isaiah.  We see in Isaiah 10:5-6 the following statement:  “Woe to Assyria, the rod of My anger And the staff in whose hands is My indignation, 6  I send it against a godless nation And commission it against the people of My fury To capture booty and to seize plunder, And to trample them down like mud in the streets.”  God used Assyria to punish the Northern Kingdom of Israel.

We read about the defeat of Assyria in the 37th chapter of Isaiah as God would send an angel to kill 180,000 Assyrian’s in one night and thus the Assyrians would be defeated in the land of Judah.

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  We see that Babylon would begin in the early chapters of the book of Genesis and would end in the last book of the Bible, and what this teaches me is that Babylon is all about man where Jerusalem is all about God and God will use Babylon throughout the history of the earth.  Oh it may not always be called Babylon, but the political and the religious systems that are against God will be seen throughout history.  The good thing comes as Isaiah writes Babylon is fallen, fallen.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to trust in the Lord to lead me and to guide me so that I will not be prideful in what the Lord does through me.

Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 46:1-10

            1 God is or refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though the waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.  Selah.  4 There is a river whose streams make glade the city of God, the holy dwelling place of the most high.  5 God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved, God will help her when morning dawns.

            6 The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms tottered; He raised His voice, the earth melted.  7 The Lord of hosts is with us, the God or Jacob is our stronghold.  Selah.  8 Come behold the works of the Lord, who has wrought desolations in the earth.  9 He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the sword in two; He burns the chariots with fire.  10 “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Jericho” (Joshua 2:1).

Today’s Bible Question:  “Who was the woman Samson loved?”

Answer in tomorrow’s SD.

8/14/2013 10:39 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment