Friday, May 9, 2014

Jeremiah Preaches another Sermon from Jeremiah 19:1-9


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/9/2014 7:30 AM

My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  Jeremiah Preaches the Sermon

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Jeremiah 19:1-9

            Message of the verses:  We move into chapter nineteen of Jeremiah in today’s SD, and we also move into the next Main point from Dr. Wiersbe’s commentary which he entitles “Jeremiah, the Persecuted Prophet.”  Our first sub-point under this main point is what we will look at this morning.  We continue looking at the theme of the potter as we look at another of Jeremiah’s action sermons in this section, and this sermon we will see that it cost Jeremiah a beating and a night in the stocks.

            “Jeremiah preaches the Sermon” (Jeremiah 19:1-9):  “1 Thus says the LORD, "Go and buy a potter’s earthenware jar, and take some of the elders of the people and some of the senior priests. 2 “Then go out to the valley of Ben-hinnom, which is by the entrance of the potsherd gate, and proclaim there the words that I tell you, 3 and say, ’Hear the word of the LORD, O kings of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, "Behold I am about to bring a calamity upon this place, at which the ears of everyone that hears of it will tingle. 4  "Because they have forsaken Me and have made this an alien place and have burned sacrifices in it to other gods, that neither they nor their forefathers nor the kings of Judah had ever known, and because they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent 5  and have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal, a thing which I never commanded or spoke of, nor did it ever enter My mind; 6  therefore, behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when this place will no longer be called Topheth or the valley of Ben-hinnom, but rather the valley of Slaughter. 7  "I will make void the counsel of Judah and Jerusalem in this place, and I will cause them to fall by the sword before their enemies and by the hand of those who seek their life; and I will give over their carcasses as food for the birds of the sky and the beasts of the earth. 8 “I will also make this city a desolation and an object of hissing; everyone who passes by it will be astonished and hiss because of all its disasters. 9 “I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they will eat one another’s flesh in the siege and in the distress with which their enemies and those who seek their life will distress them.’”

            I think the first thing that I think of when I think of Jeremiah is that he was the weeping prophet; however in this section we see the strength and courage of Jeremiah.  We remember that in the last chapter Jeremiah wanted to see his enemies (who were also enemies of God) to be destroyed.  This prayer to God must have given great courage to Jeremiah for we find him in this chapter taking them to the potter’s house with him in order to preach a sermon to them.  We will see later on that the results of this sermon would cause Jeremiah to be beaten and to be put into stocks for a night, and this again will anger Jeremiah and cause him to pray to the Lord again. 

            In this sermon to these people Jeremiah was standing at the potters house which was near the East Gate of Jerusalem and it was there that the garbage was thrown out and this would be a good place to throw the broken and unwanted pottery.  It overlooked the Valley of the Son of Hinnom and this valley had been the center for idol worship. Dr. Wiersbe writes “King Josiah had desecrated it by making it a garbage dump.  Topheth means a ‘fire pit, a hearth,’ because the little children had been put through the fires there.  After the Babylonian invasion, however, the new name would be ‘The Valley of Slaughter.’  The siege would be so bad that the Jews would have to eat their own children to stay alive!” 

            Jeremiah tells the leaders who were with him what was going to happen to the city of Jerusalem, and the inhabitants who lived there.  He not only told them what was going to happen, but why it was going to happen.  God’s cup of wrath was very nearly full, and when that happened He would have to act and the reason it was nearly full was because of the detesobile sins that they had committed against the Lord of which Jeremiah names in this message.  We can see the long-suffering of the Lord as He waited for Judah to repent, but they did not and so it was nearly time for God to act.  Jeremiah would live through this time of trouble, which is a picture of what will happen to Jerusalem during the Last Days.  In our next SD, Lord willing, we will look at how Jeremiah announces judgment upon this people of Judah form verses 10-15.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I think of the frog in the kettle when I think of how Judah fell, and I think of the same thing when I look at our nation in our day and age.  If you put a frog into a kettle of boiling water he would try to jump out right away, however if you put him in some nice warm water and gradually up the heat he would not realize that he would be destroyed because of that.  When I look at sin in our nation, sin that is happening today that would be appalled at if it happened fifty years ago, but now it is tolerated, and I don’t want it tolerated in my life, for sin is always wrong even if it is expectable in the culture I live in.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Commit to pray for my oldest daughter’s salvation every time that I am tempted today, and also pray for my friends wife who is probably near death at this time.

Memory verse for the week:  Galatians 2:20

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me, and the life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Answers to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Herod” (Luke 13:31-32).

Today’s Bible Question:  “Who said ‘All these things I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me’?”

Answer in our next SD.  5/9/2014 8:49 AM

 

              

           

No comments:

Post a Comment