Monday, May 12, 2014

Was God's Call to Jeremiah "Deceptive?" (Jer 20:7-9)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/12/2014 10:42 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  The “Deceptive” Call

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Jeremiah 20:7-9

            Message of the verses:  “7 O LORD, You have deceived me and I was deceived; You have overcome me and prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all day long; Everyone mocks me. 8 For each time I speak, I cry aloud; I proclaim violence and destruction, Because for me the word of the LORD has resulted In reproach and derision all day long. 9 But if I say, "I will not remember Him Or speak anymore in His name," Then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; And I am weary of holding it in, And I cannot endure it.”

            We know from our early studies in the book of Jeremiah that first of all God called him to do a job, and therefore would enable him to accomplish this job for the glory of God.  We also know that Jeremiah was a very emotional man, yet he would rise above his highs and lows to do the work that God called him to do.  The Holy Spirit, the author of the Word of God, would use men to write the Word of God, but would also use their own personalities as they wrote what He desired for them to write.  “2Pe 1:21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”

            Dr. Wiersbe writes that in this following section of Jeremiah that we are looking at (20:7-18) we will find that this is the last recorded lament from Jeremiah, and in this lament we will find that “it’s a human blending of grief and joy, prayer and despair, praise and perplexity.”  He goes on to write “In this honest expression of his deepest emotions, the prophet  deals with three important concerns: God’s call (vs. 7-9), his daily peril (vv. 10-13), and his inner despair (vv. 14-18).”  We will look at God’s call for our study this morning.

            In our Sunday School class we are looking at the book of Genesis, the book of beginnings, and when you look at the different characters in the book of Genesis, beginning with Abraham you see that God very patiently causes them to grow, and He changes their lives through different circumstances that He brings them to and through.  Towards the end of Abraham’s life God told him to offer Isaac as a burnt offering on an altar.  When God first called Abraham his name was even different, and he had no children and he did not know much about the Lord, but near the end of his life God changed his name and gave him more severe tests to accomplish that he would never have been able to do near the beginning of his call from the Lord.  The same is true with Jacob for God would change his name to Israel and he would not be a schemer any longer, but had a deep relationship with the Lord.  We see this same progression in the life of Jeremiah even though in the section we are looking at he is upset with the Lord, and I think that it may have been because of his humiliating beating and public display of being in stocks near the temple where many people saw him.  Jeremiah was questing his call from the Lord and even says that the Lord deceived him when he called him.  This was not true for when the Lord called him he told him that things would be hard for him.  Jeremiah was growing, and growing many times causes pains in our hearts as we serve the Lord.  Jeremiah’s ministry was not only important to the nation of Israel, and for that matter for all who have read and studied his writings, but it was also important to Jeremiah.  He will learn this as he proceeds through his life and ministry for the Lord. 

            First we see that Jeremiah tells the Lord all that is on his heart, but we must remember that he was not out in the streets of Jerusalem talking for all to hear, but he was just talking to the Lord, and this was a good thing for God can handle what Jeremiah is telling him, and will use it for His glory even though Jeremiah did not realize it at this time. 

            Dr. Wiersbe writes:  “After you’ve told God how you feel, what do you do next?  Jeremiah resolved to quit being a prophet!  He decided to keep his mouth shut and not even mention the Lord to anybody.  But that didn’t work, because the message of God was like a burning in his heart and a fire in his bones (see Luke 24:32).  Lu 24:32 They said to one another, "Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?" Jeremiah didn’t preach because he had to say something but because he had something to say, and not saying it would have destroyed him.  Paul had the same attitude:  ‘Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach.  Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!’ (1 Cor. 9:16 NIV).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  There have been times in my life when I get upset with the Lord but mostly because of battles and temptation with sin.  I pray most every day that God would not allow me to have dreams that would not bring glory to Him, but there are times when I still have dreams that I don’t believe are honoring to the Lord.  These are upsetting to me because God did not answer my prayer and so I have to talk with the Lord about this.  Satan is good at what he does for he has been at it for almost 7000 years and he can tempt me in many different ways including having dreams that are hard on me.  However I know that God is sovereign, He is in control of all things including my dreams and my prayer is that I will rise above these temptations that these dreams bring to me and trust the Lord to use them to help me to grow and depend on Him in a closer way.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to have my dreams glorify Him.

Memory verse for the week:  “Philippians 2:5.”

Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus,

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Matthew” (Matthew 10:3).

Today’s Bible question:  “What is the outstanding theme of 1 Corinthians 15?”

Answer in our next SD. 

5/12/2014 11:35 AM

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment