Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Jeremiah's Deep Dispair (Jer. 20:14-18)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/14/2014 6:59 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  Jeremiah’s Deep Despair

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Jeremiah 20:14-18

            Message of the verses:  In Today’s SD we will look at the last five verses of Jeremiah chapter twenty and this will be the end of the sixth chapter in Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on Jeremiah.  My plans are that tomorrow we will begin looking at the last four verses of 1 Thessalonians chapter three and then move back into the 21st chapter of Jeremiah.

            “14 A curse on the day of my birth: let there be no blessing on the day when my mother had me. 15 A curse on the man who gave the news to my father, saying, You have a male child; making him very glad. 16 May that man be like the towns overturned by the Lord without mercy: let a cry for help come to his ears in the morning, and the sound of war in the middle of the day; 17 Because he did not put me to death before my birth took place: so my mother’s body would have been my last resting-place, and she would have been with child for ever. 18 Why did I come from my mother’s body to see pain and sorrow, so that my days might be wasted with shame?  (BBE)

            “14 Cursed be the day when I was born; Let the day not be blessed when my mother bore me! 15 Cursed be the man who brought the news To my father, saying, "A baby boy has been born to you!" And made him very happy. 16  But let that man be like the cities Which the LORD overthrew without relenting, And let him hear an outcry in the morning And a shout of alarm at noon; 17  Because he did not kill me before birth, So that my mother would have been my grave, And her womb ever pregnant. 18 Why did I ever come forth from the womb To look on trouble and sorrow, So that my days have been spent in shame?” (NASB)

            We can see depression in these verses that Jeremiah pens and it seems that his roller coaster ride is continuing as he once again is upset with the Lord for allowing him to be born.  I suppose that it is possible that Jeremiah may have been in the stocks when he is thinking about the things that we have read about from verses 7-17 and then wrote them down later.  As I read through these verses, and I have read or listened to them for the last few days I seem to have a problem understanding the phrase in verse seventeen which says “And her womb ever pregnant.”  John Gill writes the following on this phrase:  “his wish was, that she had been always conceiving, or ever big with child of him, but never bring forth; which was a more cruel and unnatural wish than the former concerning the man, the carrier of the tidings of his birth; since this was wishing a perpetual, painful, and intolerable evil to his own mother.”

            When we look at the third chapter of the book of Job we see some similar things said there that Jeremiah has said in this section, and I am sure that there has been times in all of our lives when great trouble has come upon us that we wished that we were never born.

            I will conclude this section with the concluding words written by Warren Wiersbe:  “Why cam I forth out of the womb?’ is an easy question to answer; because God had a special purpose for your life and designed you to fulfill it (Jer. 1:4-5; Ps. 139:13-16).   God makes no mistakes when He calls His servants, and we should take care not to question His wisdom.  All of us have had times of discouragement when we’ve felt like quitting, but that‘s when we must look beyond our feelings and circumstances and see the greatness and wisdom of God.  As V. Raymond Edman, former president of Wheaton College (ILL.), often said to the students, ‘It’s always too soon to quit.’ 

            “And it is!”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It is always too soon to quit is something that I need to remember along with the successful Christian life is a series of new beginnings. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to keep me going for His honor and glory even though at times I do feel like quitting.

Memory verse for the week:  Philippians 2:5

Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus,

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Sheep or goats” (Exodus 12:5).

Today’s Bible question:  “Which prophecy concerning Christ was given in Zechariah 9:9 and fulfilled in Matthew 21:1-10?”

Answer in our next SD.

5/14/2014 7:36 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment