Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Jeremiah's Daily Peril from Jeremiah 20:10-13


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/13/2014 10:20 AM

My Worship Time                                                                            Focus:  Jeremiah’s Daily Peril

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Jeremiah 20:10-13

            Message of the verses:  “10 For I have heard the whispering of many, "Terror on every side! Denounce him; yes, let us denounce him!" All my trusted friends, Watching for my fall, say: "Perhaps he will be deceived, so that we may prevail against him And take our revenge on him." 11 But the LORD is with me like a dread champion; Therefore my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. They will be utterly ashamed, because they have failed, With an everlasting disgrace that will not be forgotten. 12  Yet, O LORD of hosts, You who test the righteous, Who see the mind and the heart; Let me see Your vengeance on them; For to You I have set forth my cause. 13 Sing to the LORD, praise the LORD! For He has delivered the soul of the needy one From the hand of evildoers.”

            There is a change in the words of Jeremiah as we begin to look at these verses compared to the verses we looked at in yesterday’s SD.  Jeremiah is upset by the whisperings that people are saying about him, and this is very understandable for no one wants people to talk bad about them, especially since the ones who were doing this were suppose to be in the same boat as Jeremiah.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “Faith doesn’t ignore problems; it faces them honestly and seeks God’s help in solving them.  No matter how much he was constrained to preach God’s Word, Jeremiah had to deal with the fact that many people wanted him to keep quiet and would take the necessary steps to salience him.”

            In Jeremiah 20:3 we see that the Lord had given Pashhur a new name “Magor-missabib,” and that name means “terror on every side,” so Dr. Wiersbe points out that it is possible that the enemies of Jeremiah were using this name as a nickname for Jeremiah.  It was God who changed Pashhur’s name and not Jeremiah who changed it, for Jeremiah was only telling Pashhur what the Lord had told him.  The enemies of Jeremiah were watching him closely as they did to David and to our Lord during His earthly ministry, watching to see if anything he said could be used against him.  This type of thing still goes on today as we see it in the candidates for elections wait to see what their opponent says so they can use it against them.

            As we look at verse eleven where there is another change in Jeremiah’s prayer I want to use a different translation to help us better understand what the verse means.  “But the Lord is with me as a great one, greatly to be feared: so my attackers will have a fall, and they will not overcome me: they will be greatly shamed, because they have not done wisely, even with an unending shame, kept in memory for ever (Bible in Basic English).”  Jeremiah must have been remembering what God had told him when He called him as he said these words.  In doing this Jeremiah remembered that the Lord promised to care for him and “would deal effectively with his enemies.”  “Instead of dishonoring him, his enemies would themselves be dishonored.  Since his words in verse 12 are almost identical to his prayer in 11:20, perhaps it’s on he prayed often.”  “But, O LORD of hosts, who judges righteously, Who tries the feelings and the heart, Let me see Your vengeance on them, For to You have I committed my cause,” (11:20).  As I have made it a practice to listen to one chapter a day in the book of Proverbs I can remember that there are verses in the book of Proverbs that speak of the same thing that Jeremiah is talking about here, verses that speak of the righteous being victorious while the unrighteous will fall and fail.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I can relate with how Jeremiah felt, even though I have never gone through what he went through.  There have been times when I don’t understand what the Lord is doing in my life, and if I had the power to change things I would do it, but then after thinking about it for a while I come to the conclusion that God knows the best for me.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Proverbs 3:5-6 “5  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths (AV).”

Memory verse for the week:  Philippians 2:5

Have this attitude in yourself, which was also in Christ Jesus,

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “The Resurrection.”

Today’s Bible question:  “From what two animals could the Passover sacrifice be taken?”

Answer in our next SD.

5/13/2014 11:34 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment