Thursday, October 29, 2015

I will Search (Amos 9:2-4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/29/2015 10:32 PM

My Worship Time                                                                                            Focus:  I will Search

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                         Reference:  Amos 9:2-4

            Message of the verses:  “2 “Though they dig into Sheol, From there will My hand take them; And though they ascend to heaven, From there will I bring them down. 3 “Though they hide on the summit of Carmel, I will search them out and take them from there; And though they conceal themselves from My sight on the floor of the sea, From there I will command the serpent and it will bite them. 4 “And though they go into captivity before their enemies, From there I will command the sword that it slay them, And I will set My eyes against them for evil and not for good.’”

            We are looking at all the times that we read the phrase “though they” and we see it five times in these three verses.  Amos is speaking of what God will do to track down those who worship idols and what He is going to do to them for their unfaithfulness to Him and to His covenant that they knew about, and even though they knew about they continued to disobey it.  Let’s look at the first of the Ten Commandments:  “3 “You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 “You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 “You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”  This is the commandment that they had broken and this was one of the reasons that God was going to destroy them.

            You remember the story of Jonah who thought that he could hide from God, but found out that he could not do that as God is omnipresence, meaning that He is everywhere.  If there was no place that God was not then He would not be God as this is one of His attributes.  7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. 9  If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 10  Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me. 11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night," 12 Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You.”  These verses come from Psalm 139 and we can see all of the scenarios that David speaks of in these verses, and some of them go along with what we are reading about in our verses from Amos today.  Now the eye of the Lord was upon the people of Israel for judgment and not for blessing at this point in their history. 

10/29/2015 10:50 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment