Sunday, October 4, 2015

Woe to the Sinners (Amos 5:18-6:14) Introduction

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/4/2015 11:01 PM
My Worship Time Focus: Woe to The Sinners

Bible Reading & Meditation Reference: Amos 5:18-6:14

Message of the verses: The Focus "Woe to the Sinners" is the title to the fifth chapter from Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on the book of Amos, and as you know I follow Dr. Wiersbe’s commentaries in my study of the Old Testament as a way of getting the outlines and helps that I need to better understand what I am reading from the Scriptures. I have said it many times that Warren Wiersbe puts the cookies on the shelf where you can reach them.

What we will look at in this brief SD is a short quote that is at the beginning of this fifth chapter of his commentary to set us up for what we will be studying.

"Amos is still lamenting the impending doom of the nation of Israel. In this section, he pronounces ‘woe’ upon four kinds of people in the kingdom: the ignorant (5:18-27), the indifferent (6:1-2), the indulgent (vv. 3-7), and the impudent (vv. 8-14). The circumstances are different, but we have these same people in the professing church today. Do you recognize them?"

I think that I will have to study this whole section to be able to answer that question, but I will probably come to the conclusion that they are there in our churches today.

I hope to begin that first section in our next SD as it is harder for me to get all of my studying done on Sunday’s, but hopefully tomorrow will be a bit easier to do a longer SD on the first section.

10/4/2015 11:08 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment