Monday, May 1, 2017

PT-4 "Pilate's Failed Proposals" (John 18:39-19:7)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/1/2017 8:07 AM

My Worship Time                                                            Focus:  PT-4 “Pilate’s Failed Proposals”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  John 18:39-19:7

            Message of the verses:  “39 “But you have a custom that I release someone for you at the Passover; do you wish then that I release for you the King of the Jews?" 40 So they cried out again, saying, "Not this Man, but Barabbas." Now Barabbas was a robber.  1 Pilate then took Jesus and scourged Him. 2  And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head, and put a purple robe on Him; 3 and they began to come up to Him and say, "Hail, King of the Jews!" and to give Him slaps in the face. 4 Pilate came out again and said to them, "Behold, I am bringing Him out to you so that you may know that I find no guilt in Him." 5 Jesus then came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. Pilate said to them, "Behold, the Man!" 6 So when the chief priests and the officers saw Him, they cried out saying, "Crucify, crucify!" Pilate said to them, "Take Him yourselves and crucify Him, for I find no guilt in Him." 7 The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law He ought to die because He made Himself out to be the Son of God."”

            I tried to find the song lyrics to “Behold the Man” but have not been able to find them so I will post on this SD the following site to listen and watch this song performed.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQH_-s_DNao

            As you listen to this song “Behold the Man” it is completely different than the way that Pilate theatrically and sarcastically said it as he brought Jesus out after being almost beaten to death by his soldiers as Jesus was bleeding from the crown of thorns that was on His head along with bleeding from the scourging that they did to Him.  Jesus looked nothing like a king in the eyes of Pilate and the others who were looking at Him.  It was the hope of Pilate that as the Jew gazed upon Jesus that they would realize that there was no need to have Him crucified, and yet Jesus was the One who was fully in control of this and Jesus knew that “the hour had come” for Him to suffer and die for the sins of world and nothing Pilate could do about it.

            Pilate once again misjudged the depth of the Jewish leaders’ contempt for Jesus.  Seeing Jesus in the state He was in only whetted their appetites as they were like sharks sensing blood in the water, “when the chief priests and the officers saw Him, they cried out saying, “Crucify, crucify!”  These heartless men will one day face this Man whom they crucified at the “Great White Throne Judgments” and they still will be unable to realize what they did was wrong.

            Pilate must have been thinking that what he had done to Jesus would be enough to satisfy the wrath of the Jews but he was wrong and so he says to them “Take Him yourselves and crucify Him, for I find no guilt in Him.”  John MacArthur writes “The emphatic pronouns ‘Him’ and ‘yourselves’ underscore Pilate’s exasperation.  He in effect said to them, ‘You take Him and crucify Him; I want nothing more to do with Him.’  The statement is a non sequitur; the governor is in reality saying, ‘Take this man and crucify Him, because I find Him not guilty.’  Whether Pilate was officially granting them the right to execute Jesus or merely mocking them again is not clear; perhaps he knew the Jews did not crucify people.  But that Pilate would even mention granting them the right of capital punishment—one of the most jealously guarded prerogatives of Roman rule—is yet another sign that he was losing control.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Studying this story of Jesus’ crucifixion has been a daunting task for me and so I can only do a little bit each day as the things that Jesus went through are really heavy on my heart as I study them.  What He went through for me to purchase atonement for me knowing who I am causes me spiritual pain.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Seek the wisdom of God as I begin to prepare my Sunday school lesson for the coming Sunday.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Esau” (Genes 27:34).

Today’s Bible question:  “What was the home city of Mary and Joseph?”

Answer in our next SD.

5/1/2017 8:54 AM

           

 

No comments:

Post a Comment