Tuesday, June 13, 2017

PT-1 "Committed Christians Love Christ More than Anything Else" (John 21:15-17)


SPRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/13/2017 8:17 AM

My Worship Time Focus: PT-1 “Committed Christians Love Christ More Than Anything Else”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 21:15-17

            Message of the verses:  “15 So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Tend My lambs." 16 He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Shepherd My sheep." 17 He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus said to him, "Tend My sheep.”

            As I was looking at verse 15 I was wondering what kind of table service the disciples were using to eat with.  I don’t suppose that they brought any with them, and so that leads me to believe that not only did Jesus create the fish that they were eating, but that He also brought the table service which would allow them to eat, after all how would they get the fish off of the fire when they were done.

            Let us begin by looking at what is called the “Shema” which comes from the OT, Deuteronomy 6:5 “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.”  Now we will also look at Deuteronomy 10:12-13 and 11:1 “12 “Now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 13 and to keep the LORD’S commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today for your good? 1 “You shall therefore love the LORD your God, and always keep His charge, His statutes, His ordinances, and His commandments.”

            It is obvious that in this section of John 21 that we are talking about love, love for God as I am sure that Peter had, but probably thought that he was no inadequate to do anything for God since he had denied the Lord three times in His hour of need.  As believers in Jesus Christ we are to love the Lord with all of our heart soul and mind.  Notice I said believers for nonbelievers cannot love God.  Believers can love God because He first loved us.  Peter’s denial of Jesus was a test which Jesus had spoken to him about in the gospel of Luke “"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat (Luke 22:31).”  As we look at this test we can also look at 1 Corinthians 10:13 “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.”  Temptations definition:  “1) an experiment, attempt, trial, proving.”  Satan wants to tempt us to do wrong, while God tests us so we can grow.  Peter is learning that lesson as the Lord restores him for useful service for the cause of Christ as seen in this section.

            John MacArthur writes about Peter’s failure “Peter learned the hard way what it means to love Jesus Christ.  He had vociferously declared his unfailing devotion to Him more than once.  At the Last Supper, ‘Simon Peter said to [Jesus] ‘Lord where are You going?’  Jesus answered, ‘Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you will follow later.’  Peter said to Him, ‘Lord, why can I not follow You right now?  I will lay down my life for You’’ (John 12:36-37).  A short while later he boldly proclaimed, ‘Even though all may fall away because of You, I will never fall away’ (Matt. 26:33).  Yet when the chips were down Peter’s self-confessed love failed and he openly denied three times that he even knew Jesus.  His vaunted courage proved to be noting but empty talk when facing a threatening situation.

            “Peter’s failure highlights the biblical truth that obedience is the essential evidence of genuine love.  In John 14:15 Jesus put it plainly: ‘If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.’  In verse 21 He added, ‘He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me’ (cf. 15:10).  In 1 John 5:3 John echoed the Lord’s teaching: ‘For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome,’ while in his second epistle he added, ‘And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments.  This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it’ (2 John 6).”

            Jesus knew what kind of role that Peter was to play, which was a crucial role to be sure that he would play in the early church, and before that could happen Jesus had to restore Him, to re-commission him.  Three times Peter denied Jesus and so three times Jesus will ask Him if he loved Him.  We will get into the different words used for love later on in this section as they are interesting to look at.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I know that I need restoration in my walk with the Lord on many occasions.  I try to ask the Lord each morning to search my heart to see if I have failed Him in any way so that I can confess it to Him.  To keep a short list with the Lord is a good thing to do.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord for the results of my grandson’s tests on a problem that he has.  I am concerned, but know that it is the Lord who is in total control and therefore I must trust Him.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Judge not that you be not judged (Matthew 7:1).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said, ‘Lord, now lettest thou they servant depart in peace, according to thy word?’”

Answer in our next SD.

6/13/2017 9:04 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment