Saturday, June 10, 2017

PT-2 "Divine Power and Success" (John 21:6-14)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/10/2017 9:04 AM

My Worship Time                                                         Focus:  PT-2 “Divine Power and Success”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 21:6-14

            Message of the verses:  “6 And He said to them, "Cast the net on the right-hand side of the boat and you will find a catch." So they cast, and then they were not able to haul it in because of the great number of fish. 7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord." So when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put his outer garment on (for he was stripped for work), and threw himself into the sea. 8 But the other disciples came in the little boat, for they were not far from the land, but about one hundred yards away, dragging the net full of fish. 9 So when they got out on the land, they saw a charcoal fire already laid and fish placed on it, and bread. 10 Jesus said to them, "Bring some of the fish which you have now caught." 11 Simon Peter went up and drew the net to land, full of large fish, a hundred and fifty-three; and although there were so many, the net was not torn. 12 Jesus said to them, "Come and have breakfast." None of the disciples ventured to question Him, "Who are You?" knowing that it was the Lord. 13 Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and the fish likewise. 14 This is now the third time that Jesus was manifested to the disciples, after He was raised from the dead.”

            As we have been looking at the gospel of John for the last 19+ months we have stated that although we know that the author is John, he never says that he is the author only identifies himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved.”  He is the one who recognized that it was Jesus who was the stranger on the shore, and so he tells Peter “It is the Lord.”  After hearing that it was the Lord Peter forgot all about fishing and jumped into the water to come to the shore.  Peter was probably wearing a loincloth as it was warm in the spring time and so he put his outer garment on before he went to see the Lord.  Peter had a great desire to see the Lord.  MacArthur writes “Characteristically, John was quicker to perceive; Peter was quicker to act.” 

            While this was going on the other disciples who were lacking Peter’s impulsiveness, came struggling toward the shore as they got some smaller boats to help with the large catch, and they finally all arrived on the shore and saw a charcoal fire with fish already on it.  I don’t think that Jesus was out on the lake fishing, but I do think that He performed a miracle to get the fish, similar to the one when He feed the 5,000.  At any rate there were fish on the charcoal fire.  I mentioned in an earlier SD that “charcoal fire” is only mentioned two times in the NT, maybe in the entire word of God.  Once when Peter was about to betray Jesus and once when Jesus was going to restore Peter to ministry, and this is the second mention, which is far better than the first.

            Our Lord shows His compassion as He makes breakfast for His weary disciples, as He continues to serve them, even in His resurrected body.  In the disobedience of the disciples they were unable to feed themselves, but in the compassion of Jesus He fed them.  Let us look at John 14:13-14 “13 “Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 “If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.”  This is a practical illustration of the words of Jesus in the upper room.  John 15:7-11 also fit here:  “7 “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.   9 "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10 “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 “These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”  John 15:16 “16  "You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.”

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful to serve a compassionate Savior who is my High Priest, and ever lives to make intercession for me.  I am thankful for His forgiveness and for the leading of the Spirit in my life.  I am thankful that Jesus meets my needs even when I fail Him as seen in this section with His disciples.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I am trusting the Lord to bring about His will in a powerful way concerning my grandson.  Not sure at this time what the problem is, but realize that the Lord does and this gives me great comfort. 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Greek.”

Today’s Bible question:  “What physical difficulty did Isaac have when he was old?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/10/2017 9:37 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment