Thursday, January 23, 2020

PT-1 "Baptism of the Son" (Matt. 3:13-15)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/23/2020 12:04 PM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-1 “Baptism of the Son”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 3:13-15

            Message of the verses:  13 Then Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him. 14 But John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?" 15 But Jesus answering said to him, "Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he permitted Him.”

            I mentioned in our last SD that there have been many theories into why Jesus was baptized, and as we go through this section over the next few days I believe we will really find out why our Lord was baptized by John the Baptist, however we will first look at some of the details of the baptism and then at the significance.

            The first word we see in verse thirteen is the word “then” and so as we look at that word we are pretty clueless as to when the baptism of Jesus took place.  We know it had to be when John was baptizing, but whether or not it took place right after the events we have been looking at we don’t know.  My thoughts that it probably did not happen when the Pharisees and the Sadducees were present, so that would mean that it happened some time after they left.  This is just my theory, and when one thinks about it I don’t suppose it really matters.  Let us look at what Dr. Luke has to say about this:  1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip was tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias was tetrarch of Abilene, 2 in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness.  This tells us when John the Baptist began his ministry in the wilderness and so it had to be around that time while he was baptizing that Jesus came to be baptized by John.  Some has speculated that because John was six months older than Jesus and Jesus began his ministry when he was thirty that perhaps John began his ministry six months before Jesus.  Some scholars suggest that the age of thirty was the generally acceptable age for Jewish religious leaders to begin their ministry writes John MacArthur.  If thirty was the perfect age for Jesus to begin His ministry then I have to think that it was the same for John.

            We see from verse thirteen that “Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan.”  Jesus did not come for a private ceremony.  Now as I think of this statement that it was not private I am thinking about my oldest grandson who will be baptized this coming Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020.  He will be the first of my daughter and son-in-laws children to be baptized as my son and his wife’s children have already been baptized.  That means only three more to be baptized for these proud grandparents.  Sorry, but these things are very important to me.  This statement that Jesus did not have a private ceremony is an important clue as to why Jesus was baptized.

            Jesus was baptized in the Jordan, but as far as the spot we do not know where in the Jordan this happened.  John states in John 1:28 “These things took place in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.”  Now you probably want to know what things John is talking about here in verse 28.  “19 This is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent to him priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?" 20 And he confessed and did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Christ." 21 They asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" And he *said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No." 22 Then they said to him, "Who are you, so that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?" 23 He said, "I am A VOICE OF ONE CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS, ’MAKE STRAIGHT THE WAY OF THE LORD,’ as Isaiah the prophet said." 24 Now they had been sent from the Pharisees. 25 They asked him, and said to him, "Why then are you baptizing, if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?" 26 John answered them saying, "I baptize in water, but among you stands One whom you do not know. 27 “It is He who comes after me, the thong of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.’”  Now we know what “these things are.”  As far as where Jesus was baptized we have to terrorize that it was near the Dead Sea.

            In our next SD we will look at whether or not Jesus knew John before this event.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Baptism is an important event in the life of a believer and it was in mine.  I have to say that I was baptized when I was 12 years old, well if you count being sprinkled baptism.  It came after I was to join the Lafayette Methodist church which took place after catechism which I took twice because I did not get it the first time.  Next I was baptized in a swimming pool after I became a believer by a very young and inexperienced Pastor.  The third time was the charm when I was about to join Grace Baptist church of Westlake Ohio.  I spoke with the pastor and he told me that when you join a church being baptized was the right way to do it according to what the Scriptures teach.  It was April of 1978 when I went into the waters of baptism and when I was under the water I actually saw in my mind me lying in a casket.  I later told Pastor Burns about this and he told me that he did not see it.  Not sure what he was trying to tell me.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to fight the good fight, to continue to have the Lord teach me humility, and to pray that I always have joy in studying the Word of God.

1/23/2020 12:38 PM




           


No comments:

Post a Comment