Saturday, January 25, 2020

PT-3 "Baptism of the Son" (Matt. 3:13-15)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/25/2020 10:12 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-3 “Baptism of the Son”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 3:13-15

            Message of the verses:  13 Then Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him. 14 But John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?" 15 But Jesus answering said to him, "Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he permitted Him.

            Before we get started on these verses I wanted to mention that in verse fifteen we see the first words spoken by Jesus since He was twelve years old found in the book of Luke when He told his parents that He had to be about His Father’s business.

            Now we have been talking about John’s reluctances to baptize Jesus in our last SD and we want to continue with that subject.  John knows of the sinlessness of Jesus as we can be sure that his mother told him about who Jesus was when he was a young boy, and so he tells Jesus that he has need to be baptized by Him.  John is saying something like “I am only a prophet, and a sinful prophet at that, but You are the Son of God and You are sinless.  I know you are not a sinner and my baptism is for sinners, that is why God sent me out here.”  I realize that John did not know what the writer of Hebrews had to say when he wrote in 4:15 “For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin,” however this is what John was saying.  MacArthur writes “So even in his reluctance to baptize Christ, John was fulfilling the role of a herald and the office of a prophet by proclaiming the perfection of the Savior.” 

            A question comes up about why would Jesus want to be baptized by John when He was certainly aware of His own sinlessness, as He was more aware of this than John, yet He wanted John to baptize Him.  We went over some reasons as to why Jesus wanted to be baptized in an earlier SD so I see no need to go over them again.  The fact remains that Jesus desired for John to baptize Him and we will see what the best reason is for His request as Jesus Himself tells John why there was a need from His baptism when he states “Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.”   

            Jesus is saying to John to permit it as this time and this was an idiom meaning according to MacArthur “that the act of His baptism, though not seemingly appropriate, was indeed appropriate for this special ‘time.’  Jesus understood John’s reluctance and knew that it came from deep spiritual commitment and sincerity.  He gave permission for John to do what, without divine instruction, he would never have been willing to do.  He assured the prophet that ‘in this way it is fitting,’ and went on to explain to John that His baptism was important for both of their ministries, ‘for us to fulfill all righteousness.’  For God’s plan to be perfectly fulfilled, it was necessary for Jesus to be baptized and to be baptized specifically by John.”  So now we see the answer to the question as to why Jesus was to be baptized by John, “to fulfill all righteousness,” but now we have to figure out exactly what that means.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Sometimes we really don’t understand why things happen, and I have to believe that John was put into that position when it came to baptizing Jesus.  I have been looking at the 9th chapter of Daniel as I am putting those Spiritual Diaries onto my other blog and at the end of the one I posted today I found a quote from Warren Wiersbe who quotes Dr. Robert A. Cook who used to say, ‘If you can explain what’s going on in your ministry, God didn’t do it.”  I think that is certainly applies to John the Baptist, and I have to say that it also applies to me in writing these Spiritual Diaries that are a part of my ministry to the Lord, and what He is doing with them I certainly can’t explain, but I trust Him to use them to bring glory to the Lord.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to fight the fight, continue to trust the Lord to give me victories, and to continue to pray that God will continue to teach me humility and bring joy to me as I study His Word.  I trust that the Lord will work in my heart as I go over my Sunday school lesson for tomorrow that it too will bring honor to the Lord.

1/25/2020 10:47 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment