Friday, January 15, 2021

An Erroneous View of God (Matt. 7:1)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/15/2021 10:32 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                    Focus:  An Erroneous View of God

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                        Reference:  Matthew 7:1

 

            Message of the verse:  “Do not judge lest you be judged.”

 

            I am eager to look at the meaning of this verse as it has been a mystery to me for many years.  I think that it is important for us to remember that Jesus is talking about how the scribes and Pharisees did things, which as we have learned were wrong and unrighteousness.

 

            MacArthur writes “Unrighteous and unmerciful judgment is forbidden first of all because it manifests a wrong view of God.  With the phrase ‘lest you be judged,’ Jesus reminds the scribes and Pharisees that they are not the final court.  To judge another person’s motives or to curse to condemnation is to play God.  ‘For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son’ (John 5:22).”  As I think about what I have just written the thought has come to my mind of the importance of not just taking one verse without learning the full context that surrounds that verse one needs to look at why that verse is there.  If one would combine these two verses together without looking at the context you would be in a world of trouble:  “Judas hanged himself; go and do likewise.”  I think you get the point I am trying to make here.

 

            We can look at Matthew 19:28 to see that in the Millennial kingdom Christ will share some of that judgment with us.  And Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on His glorious throne, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.  One more verse to look at and that is 1 Cor. 6:2 “2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts?”  That will be later on as mentioned in the millennial kingdom, but until that time we blaspheme God whenever we take upon ourselves the role of Judge.  Romans 14:4 tell us “Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.   We can see that Paul was a little concerned about just how other people judged him, but he was not even a little concerned about how he judged himself.  3 But to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord.”

 

            In James 4:11-12 we see that we are not to judge a person’s ministry, teaching, or life, with the exception of they may be continually teaching false doctrine or following standards that are clearly unscriptural. “11 Do not speak against one another, brethren. He who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks against the law and judges the law; but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge of it. 12 There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?”

 

            MacArthur concludes “Whenever we assign people to condemnation without mercy because they do not do something the way we think it ought to be done or because we believe their motives are wrong, we pass judgment that only God is qualified to make.  An unknown poet of past days wrote,

 

Judge not the workings of his brain,

And of his heart thou cannot see.

What looks to thy dim eyes a stain,

In God’s pure light may only be

A acar brought from some well-won field

Where thou wouldst only faint and yield.

 

“The Savior does not call for me to cease to be examining and discerning, but to renounce the presumptuous temptation to try to be God.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful to the Lord for using once again John MacArthur to help me to understand what was once a very difficult passage.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I continue to look to the Lord to bring revival to our Sunday school class and that the Lord will use my teaching, which I believe came from the Lord, to bring about revival to our class which will then spread throughout our entire church and beyond.

 

1/15/2021 11:06 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment