Friday, January 1, 2021

PT-2 "Worry is unfruitful because of our Master" (Matt. 6:25)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/1/2021 12:08 PM

 

My Worship Time                              Focus:  PT-2 “Worry is unfruitful because of our Master”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 6:25

 

            Message of the verse:  25 "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?”

 

            Well I suppose that the first thing that I need to say is “Happy New Year” as 2020 is now behind us.  The Lord is the only One who knows what will take place in 2021, but I pray that He will continue to use the Spiritual Diaries that I write each day to bring glory to my Lord Jesus Christ.

 

            We ended up talking about fog as we concluded our last SD of 2020, and have mentioned that in a similar way that this little bit of water can affect seven blocks of a city with a great deal of trouble worry can do the same to a person as it does not take much worry to cause a lot of problems.  This small amount of worry affects our minds very much.  John MacArthur writes “Someone has said, ‘Worry is a thin stream of fear that trickles through the mind which, if encouraged, will cut a channel so wide that all our thoughts will be drained out.”

 

             I believe that it was over a year that at the end of my Spiritual Diaries in the “My Steps of Faith” section that I was asking the Lord to give me contentment, and worry is the very opposite of contentment. Contentment should be a believer’s normal and consistent state of mind.  The verses that I would think about concerning contentment were Philippians 4:11-12 “11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and

every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.”  1 Timothy 6:6-8 is another good section “6 But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. 7 For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. 8 If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.”  I want you to notice that in the Philippian passage Paul tells us that he has learned to be content, so contentment is something we need to learn and the Word of God is where we can learn about it as “a Christian’s contentment is found in God, and only in God—in His ownership, control, and provision of everything we possess and will ever need” writes John MacArthur.

 

            The first thing we need to understand is that God owns everything, and that means the entire universe.  “The earth is the LORD’S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it” writes David in Psalm 24:1, and then in 1 Chronicles 29:11 he also states “"Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; Yours is the dominion, O LORD, and You exalt Yourself as head over all.”

 

            So we need to conclude that everything that we now have belongs to the Lord, and everything we will ever have belongs to Him.  So the question comes up “Why, then, do we worry about His taking from us what really belongs to Him?”  God question. 

 

            We will conclude with a quotation from MacArthur’s commentary, and then in our next SD we will continue looking at the second point on why we should be contentment.  “One day when he was away from home someone came running up to John Wesley saying, ‘Your house has burned down!  Your house had burned down!’  To which Wesley replied, ‘No it hasn’t, because I don’t own a house.  The one I have been living in belongs to the Lord, and if it has burned down, that is one less responsibility for me to worry about.’”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Continue to learn contentment as we are learning in this section of Scripture.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to use me to bring glory to His Son in 2021.

 

1/1/2021 12:34 PM

 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment