Thursday, July 8, 2021

PT-2 "Man's Lost Condition" (Matt. 9:36b)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/8/2021 11:38 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                Focus:  PT-2 “Man’s Lost Condition”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Matthew 9:36b

 

            Message of the verse:  because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd.”

 

            We have been talking about the false shepherds of Israel, and in Jesus’ day that included the scribes and the Pharisees as they offered a religion that added burdens instead of lifting them up.  We have talked about this before, that is that the scribes and the Pharisees cared more about their self-made traditions more than they did about the Word of God, as they were superficial and hypocritical about the true law of God.  It seems that in every society that there has to be a sector of people who think that they are better than the everyday common ordinary people.  We certainly have it in our society today, and that is partly the reason that our country is falling apart, and that was also the way in Jesus’ day as the scribes and the Pharisees who ruled the religious part of life in Israel during this time, as they thought they were so much better than others including the Son of God.  My thoughts are that they have changed their minds after their deaths.  I mentioned in our last SD about something that Ezekiel had to say about false shepherds and I will quotes some verses from Ezekiel and also from Zechariah’s book too.

 

            1 Then the word of the LORD came to me saying, 2 "Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel. Prophesy and say to those shepherds, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD, "Woe, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flock? 3 “You eat the fat and clothe yourselves with the wool; you slaughter the fat sheep without feeding the flock. 4 "Those who are sickly you have not strengthened, the diseased you have not healed, the broken you have not bound up, the scattered you have not brought back, nor have you sought for the lost; but with force and with severity you have dominated them” ( Ezek. 34:2-4).

            “5 “Those who buy them slay them and go unpunished, and each of those who sell them says, ‘Blessed be the LORD, for I have become rich!’ And their own shepherds have no pity on them” (Zech. 11:5).

 

            Later on Jesus says the following in Matthew 23:4 “"They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger.”  This of course is speaking of the scribes and Pharisees.  It gets worse as our Lord says the following in verse 13 “13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.  I have to say that this is still true today in many churches who teach their people false doctrines and will one day have to answer to the Lord for that.

 

            I suppose that most every person who has ever been born has a desire to find out the truth and in many cases today these false teachers are giving out lies that they are selling as the truth when they don’t even know the truth themselves, but continue to pass out their lies which cause the people who believe them not to enter the kingdom of God, and as our Lord says of the scribes and the Pharisees in the highlighted portion above they don’t enter it and keep others from entering the kingdom of God.

 

            Paul has some very profound words to say to the elders of the church at Ephesus that are found in Acts 20:28-29, and before I quote what he told them it would be good to remember that Paul spent three years there as this was his hub in what is now modern day Turkey.  The seven churches found in Revelation 2-3 come from this same region.  “28 “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29 “I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock;” This prophecy certainly came true as there are nothing but ruins where Ephesus once stood.

 

            We will conclude this with MacArthur’s last paragraph in this section and then another quotation he has in his commentary.

 

“How wonderfully refreshing it must have been to hear Jesus say, ‘Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls, For My yoke is easy, and My load is light’ (Matt. 11:28-30).  What a contrast those words were from the teaching of the scribes and Pharisees, who added burden upon burden, tradition upon tradition, requirement upon requirement.”

            “Someone has written,

 

‘Let me look on the crowd as my Savior did,

Till my eyes with tears grow dim;

Let me view with pity the wandering sheep,

And love them for the love of Him.’”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I always endeavor to teach the truth, and if for some reason I am not teaching the truth I certainly desire to be corrected and proven that I am not teaching the truth.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to see me through the issues that I have with my guts, something that seems to many times be a problem for me.

 

7/8/2021 12:12 PM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment