Thursday, July 28, 2022

"Humble" (Matt. 15:25-27)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/28/2022 9:59 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                                                Focus:  “Humble”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                               Reference: Matthew 15:25-27

 

            Message of the verses:  “25 But she came and began to bow down before Him, saying, "Lord, help me!" 26 And He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs." 27 But she said, "Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.’”

 

            Let us begin by looking at the words “to bow down” (proskuneo) in the Greek, which literally means to prostrate oneself and is frequently translated “to worship.”  So this shows us that the woman is worshiping the Lord by bowing down before Him.  This also shows humility, as it is possible that there is no worship going on, but my thoughts is that there is.  What she did was throw herself at the feet of Jesus and then pleaded with even greater desperation, Lord, help me!

 

            Jesus is actually saying to her something similar that He had said in verse 24 “24 But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." "It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs" (v. 26b).

 

            I want to explain that in the Greek there are two words for dogs, and one means a mangy dog that lives by itself, and the other is “a little dog” kind of what many people have as house pets the ones that come around when the family is eating and begs for food, and this is what Jesus is talking about when He said “throw it to the dogs.”  I don’t have to tell you that many dogs, especially in our country are treated well and probably spoiled.  I can think of a story when my daughter was in Peru on a missions trip and she was up in the high mountains and what she was fed was chicken, but all of the chicken, even the eyes and so she was instructed to just sneak it to the dogs, as she did not want to offend her hosts.  While there she watched a baptism where the ice had to be broken away before the person could be baptized.

 

            MacArthur writes “Even so, Jesus’ remarks were far from a compliment.  The woman knew that children’s referred to Jews and dogs referred to Gentiles, because both figures were commonly used by Jews.  Jesus’ words sounded much like the insults Jews frequently cast at Gentiles and that the woman had probably heard many times before.”  I want to look at Psalm 22:16 which is the Psalm which tells about the crucifixion of Jesus Christ:  “For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.”  This verse is saying that our Lord was surrounded by Gentiles when He was crucified.

 

            As we continue looking at verse 27 we read But she said, "Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.’”  I have to say that this woman was undaunted, and in an incredible flash of her insight she picked up on Jesus’ own illustration in saying what she said in verse 27.  I have to believe that this woman knew that she was sinful and that she was unworthy, like all people born of the seed of Adam, as none of us have anything to offer for our salvation.  Now in this woman’s case she knew that she was not a Jew.  As she did this she demonstrated a complete absence of pride, self-reliance, and also self-righteousness which characterized the many Jewish leaders that Jesus had been talking to before He and His disciples came to this Gentile territory in order to get away.  What this woman was willing to settle with is the crumbs which fall from their master’s table.  This was because that would be enough to meet her needs.  A tiny leftover of Jesus’ great power could heal her daughter, and that was all she was asking for.

 

            We know that Jesus’ priority mission was to the Jews, the crumbs of the gospel did indeed fall from their table and feed humble Gentiles who hungered for the Bread of life, something that is seen in verses 29-29 of chapter 15 of Matthew as Jesus will once again feed many, many people in a miraculous way, this time it will be Gentiles. 

 

            We have one more short verse to look at, and Lord willing we will do that tomorrow as we will look at “The Lord’s Response.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  There are times in my spiritual life when the Lord causes me to kind of “jump through some hoops” in other words be patient to see what He is trying to teach me.  I suppose that sometimes I fail to get through a hoop and have to go around again before I get through the hoop.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I want to be a better listener to His Word so that I can get through those hoops without missing them to the glory of God.

 

7/28/2022 10:38 AM

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment