Thursday, August 25, 2022

PT-3 "They are Taught by God" (Matt. 16:5-12)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/25/2022 12:01 PM

 

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  PT-3 “They are Taught by the Lord”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 16:5-12

 

            Message of the verses:  “““5 And the disciples came to the other side and had forgotten to take bread. 6 And Jesus said to them, "Watch out and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees." 7 And they began to discuss among themselves, saying, "It is because we took no bread." 8 But Jesus, aware of this, said, "You men of little faith, why do you discuss among yourselves that you have no bread? 9 “Do you not yet understand or remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets you took up? 10 “Or the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many large baskets you took up? 11 “How is it that you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread? But beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees." 12 Then they understood that He did not say to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”

 

            We begin with an important quotation from John MacArthur:  “As the believer studies God’s Word and allows God’s Spirit to interpret and apply it, he is divinely enabled to understand even the deep things of God.  Though utterly blind in his natural mind and spirit, by God’s gracious provision he is given knowledge and understanding of the most important truths in the universe.  As with the two disciples to whom Jesus appeared on the Emmaus road, a Christian’s heart should burn with wonder and glory as the Lord makes His truth come alive (Luke 24:32).”  I just have to say that that passage is truly one of my favorite passages in the New Testament.

 

            In his commentary MacArthur tells of a blind French girl who became a believer by reading the Bible of Mark in Braille.  She would read the Bible so much that the fingers on her hands got so bad that she was not able to read the Word any more.  Her fingers had to be peeled off, but after that she could not use them as there was no more feeling in them.  She then picked up the book to kiss it goodbye and found that her lips were even more sensitive than her fingers.  This is a person who truly loved the Lord and His Word, as God will always find a way to feed the heart that hungers for His truth.

 

            MacArthur concludes this section with another story.  I guess it is story time for this SD today, but they are good stories.

 

            “The famous American revolutionary hero Ethan Allen was an avowed atheist and wrote a book denying the deity of Christ.  When his devout Christian wife died the daughter was torn between the ways of her parents.  Some years after her mother died, the daughter was also struck with a terminal illness.  As she lay dying, she said to her father, ‘You will bury me by the side of Mother, for that was her dying request.  But Father, you and Mother have never agreed on religion.  Mother often spoke to me of the blessed Savior who died for us all, and she used to pray for both you and me that the Savior might be our Friend and that we might all see Him when He sits enthroned in His glory.’  Looking desperately into her father’s eyes, she pleaded, ‘I don’t feel I can go into death alone.  Tell me whom I shall follow, your or mother?  Shall I reject Christ as you’ve taught me, or shall I accept Him, as Mother wanted me to do?’  Deeply moved and heartbroken, her father replied, ‘My child, cling to your Mother’s Savior.  She was right.  And I, too, shall try to follow you to that blessed place.’

 

            “Only through Christ are the blind made to see.”

 

            I want to give you a heads up on our next section as I have listened to the sermon in which that chapter was written on and there are some things in that all important chapter that I was surprised to learn and look forward to going over in the commentary.

 

8/25/2022 12:20 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment