Friday, April 26, 2024

PT-2 "Shocking the Twelve" (Matt. 26:21b-24)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/26/2024 10:20 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                 Focus:  PT-2 “Shocking the Twelve”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 26:21b-24

 

            Message of the verses:  He said, "Truly I say to you that one of you will betray Me." 22 Being deeply grieved, they each one began to say to Him, "Surely not I, Lord?" 23 And He answered, "He who dipped his hand with Me in the bowl is the one who will betray Me. 24 “The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.’”

 

            We did not get too far in looking at these verses yesterday, but that was okay as when the Lord is leading me to writes something I must obey. 

 

            Now we want to begin by writing about how meals were done in the Near East, as the eating of a meal with someone was considered a mark of friendship, and so to eat with a person just before betraying him would be to compound the treachery.  The following is what Kind David wrote in Psalm 55:12-14 after he experienced the betrayal of a trusted friend: “12 For it is not an enemy who reproaches me, Then I could bear it; Nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me, Then I could hide myself from him. 13 But it is you, a man my equal, My companion and my familiar friend; 14 We who had sweet fellowship together Walked in the house of God in the throng.”

 

            We know because Jesus is all knowing that He was aware that He had many enemies, and the disciples of Jesus also knew He had many enemies, so they were hardly surprised that He would be betrayed.  However it was unbelievable that the one who will betray Him would be one of their own group.  We can understand that they were deeply grieved as John reports that they were “at a lost to know of which one He was speaking” (John 13:22).  Judas was perhaps among the least who was suspected and the reason was because of his being the group’s treasure and this indicated his integrity was thought to beyond reproach.  It can be understandable to think that once Jesus gave the news of betrayal that there were probable tears.  Let us look at Luke 22:23 “And they began to discuss among themselves which one of them it might be who was going to do this thing.”  MacArthur adds “While discussing the matter among themselves, they may have pointed accusing fingers at one another, as Luke’s account might suggest (cf. v. 24).  But to their credit, the primary concern of each man was the possibility of his own culpability, and they each one began to say to Jesus surely not I, Lord?”

 

            I am sorry to say that I must stop and hopefully I can do better tomorrow, but I did not sleep well last night and am having a hard time keeping my mind on the subject matter today.

 

4/26/2024 10:40 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment