Friday, August 30, 2024

Sanctuary Devastation (Matthew 27:51a

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/30/2024 7:43 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                        Focus:  Sanctuary Devastation”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 27:51a

 

            Message of the verse:  “And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.”

 

            I know that I mentioned this in the last SD, but I want to give some more details on this as I look to see what MacArthur has to say about this first part of verse 51.

 

            What we are looking at here is the fourth miracle that occurred during the crucifixion and this was certainly divine devastation of the sanctuary, as we read the veil of the temple was torn in two.

 

            MacArthur writes “Naos (temple) does not refer to the Temple as a whole but to the inner sanctuary, the Holy of Holies where God dwelt in His symbolic presence.  A huge woven veil separated the Holy of Holies from the rest of the Temple, and Josephus reports that this massive curtain was predominantly blue and was ornately decorated.”

 

            Now what I am about to write I have to believe that I have written about this in another SD, and that is once a year the high priest was allowed to pass through the veil on the Day of Atonement to sprinkle blood on the altar for the sins of the people, if I remember correctly this was sin covered for the past year, and that only for a brief period of time was the High Priest in the Holy of Holies.  I have heard or read about the High Priest had a rope around his leg in case the Lord would kill him, then no one would have to go in and retrieve his body.  Later on I remember reading that this did not happen and in my opinion I believe that that later is the truth.  Now I want to go on to talk more about this very holy place.  Now because, like God’s presence in the Holy of Holies, even that special sacrifice was only symbolic, as this was a ritual that had to be repeated every year, anticipating the on, true sacrifice for sins that the Son of God Himself one day would offer.  As we have looked at what went on while Jesus was on the cross, and think about it as much of this was prophecy that was written about in the Old Testament which was now fulfilled, the one must wonder why more people did not believe that Jesus was the promised Messiah that came from God.  I realize that people did not have Bibles like we have today as many believers today have Bibles on their laptop and even on their Smart Phone.  Now as I think about that it again makes me wonder why more people today don’t understand that they are sinners in need of salvation.  One of the big reasons that I post these Spiritual Diaries has to do with getting the Word of God out by putting them onto my blogs.  What I am about to put on this SD is the last item from my prayer list that I use probably about 5-6 times a week and it comes as a burden from my former Pastor who is now the president of a what is called Baptist Mid Missions, and if you want to know more about this 100+ year old organization you cans search BMM.org and you can then read about it.  27. Pray 938, that is from Matthew 9:38 “"Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.’”  I pray that the Lord will work in the hearts of His Church to send new missionaries out into the field to do work for the cause of Christ.  I pray for those who are living in their homes that they too will be ready to give out the good news of the Gospel to those that the Holy Spirit brings into their lives.  Use me to do this in our neighborhood, and around the world through the blogs that I write.”

 

            MacArthur writes “When Christ gave up His spirit, that once-for-all sacrifice was completed and the need for a veil no longer existed.  By coming to the Son, any man could now come to God directly, without need of a priest, sacrifice, or ritual.  Consequently, the veil was torn in two from top to bottom by God’s miraculous act, because the barrier of sin was forever removed for those who put their trust in the Son as Lord and Savior.

 

            “By rending the Temple veil, God was saying, in effect, ‘In the death of My Son, Jesus Christ, there is total access into My holy presence.  He has paid the full price of sin for everyone who trusts in Him, and I now throw open My holy presence to all who will come in His name.’  The writer of Hebrews admonished, ‘Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need’ (Heb. 4:16).”

 

            Now I believe that I mentioned something in the last SD about the Temple being filled at the time when this miracle from God happened and so the people who were in the holy place would have seen this miracle take place, but would they know why it took place is the question that needs to be answered, and my thought is that they probably did not know why it happened.  There were as much as a million people attending the Passover celebration in Jerusalem at this time when Jesus was crucified, and that is a lot of people for a small city like Jerusalem.  I am sure that many of them heard about this, and perhaps were themselves wondering why this happened.

 

            MacArthur writes “Although the Temple was not destroyed until some forty years later, in A. D. 70, the sacrificial system of Israel and its attendant priesthood ceased to have even symbolic value when the veil was torn in two and the Holy of Holies was exposed.  The ceremonies and priestly functions continued until the Temple was destroyed, but their divine significance ended when Christ died, as the Old Covenant was abrogated and the Ne inaugurated.”

 

            There are more miracles to talk about as we continue this section of Matthew 27.

 

8/30/2024 8:21 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment