Thursday, November 7, 2013

Light in the Darkness (Isaiah 49:1-7)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/5/2013 9:22 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus: Light in the Darkness

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Isaiah 49:1-7

            Message of the verses:  We come to the tenth chapter in Warren Wiersbe’s book “Be Comforted” which is his commentary on the book of Isaiah.  He entitles this chapter “This is God’s Servant” and it covers chapters 49-52:12 of the book of Isaiah.  We must remember that the chapters and verses were manmade in the Bible and I have heard it said that the biggest mistake that was made in chapter divisions was in the book of Isaiah between chapters 52 and 53 so I suppose that is why he decided to end this chapter in the middle of chapter 52.  The first main point in his chapter, which we will begin to look at this morning, is entitled “The Servant and the Gentiles” which covers chapters 49:1-50:3. 

            Dr. Wiersbe writes the following words for us to help us understand this chapter:  “These chapters present God’s Servant, Messiah, in three important relationships:  to the Gentile nations (49:1-50:3), to His Father (50:4-11), and to His people Israel (51:1-52:12).”  Next we read the following as a preview to the first main point “In this message, God’s Servant explains His ministry as bringing light in the darkness (Isa. 49:1-7), liberty to the captive (vv. 8-13), and love and hope to the discouraged (49:14-50:3).”

            Light in the darkness (49:1-7):  “1 Listen to Me, O islands, And pay attention, you peoples from afar. The LORD called Me from the womb; From the body of My mother He named Me. 2  He has made My mouth like a sharp sword, In the shadow of His hand He has concealed Me; And He has also made Me a select arrow, He has hidden Me in His quiver. 3 He said to Me, "You are My Servant, Israel, In Whom I will show My glory." 4 But I said, "I have toiled in vain, I have spent My strength for nothing and vanity; Yet surely the justice due to Me is with the LORD, And My reward with My God." 5  And now says the LORD, who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant, To bring Jacob back to Him, so that Israel might be gathered to Him (For I am honored in the sight of the LORD, And My God is My strength), 6  He says, "It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant To raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved ones of Israel; I will also make You a light of the nations So that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth."  7 Thus says the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel and its Holy One, To the despised One, To the One abhorred by the nation, To the Servant of rulers, "Kings will see and arise, Princes will also bow down, Because of the LORD who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel who has chosen You.’”

            I was wondering as I read over this section why God’s Servant is called “Israel” in verse three and then I read the following from Warren Wiersbe:  “The Jewish nation was called to glorify God and be a light to the Gentiles, but they failed in their mission.  This is why Messiah is called ‘Israel’ in Isaiah 49:3.  He did the work that Israel was supposed to do.  Today the Church  is God’s light in the dark world (Acts 12:46-49).”  “46 Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47 “For so the Lord has commanded us, ’I HAVE PLACED YOU AS A LIGHT FOR THE GENTILES, THAT YOU MAY BRING SALVATION TO THE END OF THE EARTH.’" 48 When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed. 49 And the word of the Lord was being spread through the whole region.”  We will also look at Matthew 5:14-16 “14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15  nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”

            It is possible that some may wonder what right did God’s Servant have to address the Gentile nations with such authority, but before His birth He was called by God to His ministry and a part of that ministry was to be a light to the Gentiles.  “"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.’”  This is written of Jeremiah in Jeremiah 1:5, and the following was written by Paul who was called by God “15  But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16  to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles (Gal. 1:15-16a).”

            Let us again take a look at verse four of our text:  “." 4 But I said, "I have toiled in vain, I have spent My strength for nothing and vanity; Yet surely the justice due to Me is with the LORD, And My reward with My God.”  We see here that there were times in the life of Jesus while upon this earth ministering that it looked like His work was done in vain, for He was ridiculed by the religious leaders who opposed Him for most of His ministry.  Many people did not understand Him either and so this too was a problem.  We see by this verse that it was God who gave Him success as He went about doing the will of His Father even though at times it was very difficult.  11/5/2013 10:05 AM  11/5/2013 5:54 PM

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It is my desire not to have to be like the children of Israel and to be faithful to the Lord in fulfilling the thing that He has chosen for me to do.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Do better at my class this evening.

Memory verses for the week:  2 Peter 1:1-11

            1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: 2  Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3  seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. 4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.

    5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. 10  Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; 11  for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

Answer to our last Bible Question:  “For Evermore” (Hebrews 728).

Today’s Bible Question:  “Who were the first four disciples which Jesus called to follow Him.?”

Answer in our next SD.

11/5/2013 6:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment