Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Servant & Israel PT-1 (Isaiah 51:1-8)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/12/2013 10:19 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  The Servant & Israel PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Isaiah 51:1-8

            Message of the verses:  We are at the last main point from the tenth chapter of Dr. Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on the book of Isaiah which he has entitled “Be Comforted.”  For those new to these Spiritual Diaries that I write I have been following the outline and get info from Warren Wiersbe’s “Be” books in order to make my way through the entire Bible.  I began doing these Spiritual Diaries back in 1993 and later on I began to go through the New Testament a book and a section at a time, and then after finishing the NT I began the OT in 2005 and am at the 51st chapter of Isaiah at this time. 

            Dr. Wiersbe writes at the introduction to this third main section these words:  “This section contains several admonitions; ‘hearken to me’ (51:1 KJV; also 4, 7); ‘awake, awake’ (vv. 9, 17; 52:1-6; and ‘depart, depart (vv. 7-12).  Except for 51:9-16, which is a prayer addressed to the Lord, each of these admonitions is from God to His people in Babylon.”  I use the NASB, and so in the following SD’s on this section I will use both the NASB and also the KJV in order to better follow the things that Dr. Wiersbe is writing about.

            “Hearken to Me” (Isaiah 51:1-8):  “1 "Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, Who seek the LORD: Look to the rock from which you were hewn And to the quarry from which you were dug. 2  "Look to Abraham your father And to Sarah who gave birth to you in pain; When he was but one I called him, Then I blessed him and multiplied him." 3 Indeed, the LORD will comfort Zion; He will comfort all her waste places. And her wilderness He will make like Eden, And her desert like the garden of the LORD; Joy and gladness will be found in her, Thanksgiving and sound of a melody.  4 "Pay attention to Me, O My people, And give ear to Me, O My nation; For a law will go forth from Me, And I will set My justice for a light of the peoples. 5 “My righteousness is near, My salvation has gone forth, And My arms will judge the peoples; The coastlands will wait for Me, And for My arm they will wait expectantly. 6  "Lift up your eyes to the sky, Then look to the earth beneath; For the sky will vanish like smoke, And the earth will wear out like a garment And its inhabitants will die in like manner; But My salvation will be forever, And My righteousness will not wane. 7 “Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, A people in whose heart is My law; Do not fear the reproach of man, Nor be dismayed at their revilings. 8 “For the moth will eat them like a garment, And the grub will eat them like wool. But My righteousness will be forever, And My salvation to all generations.’”  (NASB)

            “1 Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged. 2 Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him. 3 For the LORD shall comfort Zion: he will comfort all her waste places; and he will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the LORD; joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of melody.  4 Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people. 5  My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust. 6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be forever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished. 7 Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings. 8 For the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool: but my righteousness shall be forever, and my salvation from generation to generation.”

            God is addressing the faithful remnant of Israel who were in Babylon as seen in Isaiah 50:10 “Who is among you that fears the LORD, That obeys the voice of His servant, That walks in darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God.”  This admonition the Lord tells these people to remember their first parents, Abraham and Sarah, and their story, at least part of it is found in Genesis 12-25.  It may be good to review a bit of their story in order to see how the Lord performed a miracle to begin the children of Israel through Abraham who was 100 years old and Sara who was 90 years old when their promised son, Isaac was born to them.  The Apostle Paul points out that both Abraham and Sarah were well past the time of when they could produce a child, but God performed a miracle so that Sarah could have Abraham’s baby.  We may make note that a similar miracle was done for the birth of John the Baptist.  The nation of Israel began with a very small family, but while in Egypt this family became a nation and is still one to this day.  The faithful remnant that was in Babylon was very small to, but in this section God promises to them again that they will grow and that their ravaged land will become a paradise.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “Be comforted!” God said to His people.  “The Best is yet to come!”

            In verses 4-6 we see the second command from the Lord to them.  I have highlighted the word “My” and then what follows that word in the NASB to show that this is the grace of God who does these things for His people.  These things could not be done by His people on their own, but God does them which makes them grace to them, something that they could never do on their own, or could never earn on their own.  We also see the phrase “arm of the Lord,” and this is somewhat of a theme in the book of Isaiah as it is seen in 30:30; 40:10; 51:5, 9, 52:10; 53:1; 59:16; 62:8; 63:5, 12).  Dr. Wiersbe writes “Heaven and earth will pass away, but God’s righteousness and salvation will last forever.  That righteousness will be displayed in a special way when Messiah returns and establishes His kingdom on earth.

            Now we will look at the third admonition which is seen in verses 7-8 of Isaiah 51, and it focuses on looking within, where we find either fear of faith.  “7 “Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, A people in whose heart is My law; Do not fear the reproach of man, Nor be dismayed at their revilings. 8 “For the moth will eat them like a garment, And the grub will eat them like wool. But My righteousness will be forever, And My salvation to all generations.’”  (NASB)

            Isaiah was talking about the seeds of destruction which were going to happen in the nation of Babylon and they were like the moth and the worm or grub.  Both move slowly but they do get their work done.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I believe that the seeds of destruction have been working in our country for a long time.  The question is what am I to do about it?  For one thing I can tell others about the saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and how people can spend eternity with Him in heaven, and that would be changing the world one soul at a time.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I pray that the Lord will allow me to begin a one on one Bible Study with people in our neighborhood so that I can explain to them the way of salvation.

Memory verse for the week:  1 John 5:13

            13.  These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you man know that you have eternal life.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Jesus” (Luke 2:49).

Today’s Bible Question:  “In what city was Jesus brought up?”

Answer in our next SD.

11/12/2013 11:12 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment