Friday, November 1, 2013

The False gods Disgraced (Isaiah 46:1-13)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/1/2013 9:45 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  The False gods Disgraced

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Isaiah 46:1-13

            Message of the verses:  “1 Bel has bowed down, Nebo stoops over; Their images are consigned to the beasts and the cattle. The things that you carry are burdensome, A load for the weary beast. 2 They stooped over, they have bowed down together; They could not rescue the burden, But have themselves gone into captivity. 3  "Listen to Me, O house of Jacob, And all the remnant of the house of Israel, You who have been borne by Me from birth And have been carried from the womb; 4  Even to your old age I will be the same, And even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you; And I will bear you and I will deliver you.

    “5 "To whom would you liken Me And make Me equal and compare Me, That we would be alike? 6 “Those who lavish gold from the purse And weigh silver on the scale Hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; They bow down, indeed they worship it. 7 “They lift it upon the shoulder and carry it; They set it in its place and it stands there. It does not move from its place. Though one may cry to it, it cannot answer; It cannot deliver him from his distress. 8 “Remember this, and be assured; Recall it to mind, you transgressors. 9 “Remember the former things long past, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, 10 Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done, Saying, ’My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’; 11 Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man of My purpose from a far country. Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass. I have planned it, surely I will do it. 12 “Listen to Me, you stubborn-minded, Who are far from righteousness. 13 “I bring near My righteousness, it is not far off; And My salvation will not delay. And I will grant salvation in Zion, And My glory for Israel.”

            One thing that we should keep in mind as we look at certain passages in the books of the prophets, and that is that a good deal of it is written in Hebrew poetry, and if we remember from our study in the book of Psalms that there are different kinds of Hebrew poetry.  The following is a quote from my Spiritual Diary from December 10th 2012 that helps to explain Hebrew Poetry.  ““Hebrew poetry is based on ‘thought lines’ and not rhymes.  If the second line repeats the first line in different words, as in Psalm 24:1-3 (“The earth is the LORD’S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it. 2 For He has founded it upon the seas And established it upon the rivers.3 Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD? And who may stand in His holy place?”)  If the second line contrasts with the first, as in Psalm 1:6 (“For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish.”) and also Psalm 37:9, it is antithetic parallelism.  Psalm 19:7-9 (“7 ¶  The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple  8  The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.  9  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.”) But when the second line completes the first, it is climatic parallelism (Psalm 29:1 “Ascribe to the LORD, O sons of the mighty, Ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.”).  With iterative parallelism, the second line repeats the thought of the first as seen in Psalm 93, and in alternate parallelism, the lines carry the same thought as in (Psalm 103:8-13 “8  The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness. 9  He will not always strive with us, Nor will He keep His anger forever. 10 He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. 11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him. 12  As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. 13 Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.”).  You don’t bring these technical terms into the pulpit, but knowing what they mean can give you great help when you study.  To interpret Psalm 103:3 “3 Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases;” as God’s promise to heal every sickness is to ignore the synonymous parallelism of the verse:  the forgiveness of sins is like the healing of disease (see Psalm 41:4). “4  As for me, I said, "O LORD, be gracious to me; Heal my soul, for I have sinned against You.’”

            The entire 46th chapter of Isaiah is written in Hebrew poetry.

            The god’s mentioned in verse one, Bel and Nebo are gods of the Babylonians as Bel was the sun and Nebo was his son.  Idols were prevalent in the OT times, and I am speaking of idols like mentioned in verse one.  Paul writes about idols in some of his NT letters and at one point says that there is no such thing as an idol, but idol worship seems to have started in Babel, which is where Babylon was and still is located.  Idol worship is some form of worshiping Satan.  In ancient Babylon, where God changed the languages the people were building Ziggurats, and these Ziggurats were the first astrological observatories where they began to chart the stars and planets, and this kind of stuff is still going on today.  This was done to tell one’s future and thus idol worship began as the Babylonians had names for different gods, and when different countries would conquer them then they would just change the names of their gods to fit their culture.  Back in the third chapter of Genesis God told Eve that the “Seed” would be of the woman, and thus in ancient times there would be a mother son cult having gods of different names, and this has actually continued in our own time.

Even to your old age I will be the same, And even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you;And I will bear you and I will deliver you.         I want to mention that verse fours according to Dr. Wiersbe is the basis for a stanza of the familiar song “How Firm a Foundation,” but this song is not sung as much as it use to be and is omitted from many newer hymnals.  The Song’s lyrics are as follows: 

  1. How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
    Is laid for your faith in His excellent word!
    What more can He say than to you He hath said—
    To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
  2. “Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
    For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
    I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
    Upheld by My gracious, omnipotent hand.
  3. “When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
    The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
    For I will be with thee thy trouble to bless,
    And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
  4. “When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
    My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply;
    The flame shall not harm thee; I only design
    Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

5.      “The soul that on Jesus doth lean for repose,
I will not, I will not, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,

Isaiah 46:4 “Even to your old age I will be the same, And even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you; And I will bear you and I will deliver you.”

      To kind of sum this chapter up we see that there is a great deal of difference between our God and idols, for our God, the God of Heaven and Earth will never fail us, He will always be there to hear our prayers and as we think about it He will be with us from the womb to the tomb.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “How comforting it is to know that our God cares for us before we are born (Ps. 139:1-16), when we get old and each moment in between!”

      Spiritual meaning for my life today:  This section was uplifting to me lifted me up above the problems that are going on in my life at this time.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Renew my trust in the Lord as He will care for me forever.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Abednego” (Daniel 3:13).

Today’s Bible Question:  “What was the principal Jewish weight by which others were regulated?”

Answer in our next SD.

11/1/2013 10:38 AM

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment