Monday, November 4, 2013

The Jewish Remnant Delivered (Isaiah 48:1-22)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/4/2013 10:06 AM

My Worship Time                                                              Focus:  The Jewish Remnant Delivered

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Isaiah 48:1-22

            Message of the verses:  I realize that we are taking pretty large bites from the book of Isaiah, but I hope that what we are studying will be a benefit to all who read it, and that the Lord will use it to give strength to those who see the posts.

            “1  "Hear this, O house of Jacob, who are named Israel And who came forth from the loins of Judah, Who swear by the name of the LORD And invoke the God of Israel, But not in truth nor in righteousness. 2  "For they call themselves after the holy city And lean on the God of Israel; The LORD of hosts is His name. 3  "I declared the former things long ago And they went forth from My mouth, and I proclaimed them. Suddenly I acted, and they came to pass. 4  "Because I know that you are obstinate, And your neck is an iron sinew And your forehead bronze, 5  Therefore I declared them to you long ago, Before they took place I proclaimed them to you, So that you would not say, ’My idol has done them, And my graven image and my molten image have commanded them.’ 6  "You have heard; look at all this. And you, will you not declare it? I proclaim to you new things from this time, Even hidden things which you have not known. 7  "They are created now and not long ago; And before today you have not heard them, So that you will not say, ’Behold, I knew them.’ 8  "You have not heard, you have not known. Even from long ago your ear has not been open, Because I knew that you would deal very treacherously; And you have been called a rebel from birth.

    9 ¶  "For the sake of My name I delay My wrath, And for My praise I restrain it for you, In order not to cut you off. 10  "Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. 11  "For My own sake, for My own sake, I will act; For how can My name be profaned? And My glory I will not give to another. 12  "Listen to Me, O Jacob, even Israel whom I called; I am He, I am the first, I am also the last. 13  "Surely My hand founded the earth, And My right hand spread out the heavens; When I call to them, they stand together. 14  "Assemble, all of you, and listen! Who among them has declared these things? The LORD loves him; he will carry out His good pleasure on Babylon, And His arm will be against the Chaldeans. 15  "I, even I, have spoken; indeed I have called him, I have brought him, and He will make his ways successful.

    16 ¶  "Come near to Me, listen to this: From the first I have not spoken in secret, From the time it took place, I was there. And now the Lord GOD has sent Me, and His Spirit." 17  Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, Who leads you in the way you should go. 18 “If only you had paid attention to My commandments! Then your well-being would have been like a river, And your righteousness like the waves of the sea. 19 “Your descendants would have been like the sand, And your offspring like its grains; Their name would never be cut off or destroyed from My presence." 20 Go forth from Babylon! Flee from the Chaldeans! Declare with the sound of joyful shouting, proclaim this, Send it out to the end of the earth; Say, "The LORD has redeemed His servant Jacob." 21 They did not thirst when He led them through the deserts. He made the water flow out of the rock for them; He split the rock and the water gushed forth. 22 “There is no peace for the wicked," says the LORD.

            As I mentioned in a previous SD as we look at these chapters (40-48) we see that Isaiah is telling the people of Judah what will happen to them before it happens to them.  The first part of Isaiah’s book tells us mainly of what was happening to them at the time of the writing of the book, mostly about the Assyrians.  In chapter forty-eight we see that it is now time for the children of Israel to return to their land, but as we see in the book of Nehemiah, and also Ezra many of the people did not want to return.  Jeremiah told them to go into captivity and build a home and stay there, but they got to comfortable in their homes and just as Isaiah prophecies they do not want to come home.  This is a problem right now for the Jews for many of them do not want to return to Israel even though that is where they should be. 

            Dr. Wiersbe writes God told them that they were hypocritical in using His name and identifying with His city but not obeying His will (Isa. 48:1-2).  They were stubborn (v. 4) and were not excited about the new things God was doing for them.”

            In verses 18-19 we learn that if the Jews would have obeyed the Lord that they would not have gone to Babylon, but since they disobeyed Him that is where He sent them.  The Babylonian captivity was like a furnace to refine Israel.  In verse 20 the Lord now tells them to go forth from Babylon and we also see this in Jeremiah 50:8; 51:6; 45 and Revelations 18:4. “I heard another voice from heaven, saying, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not participate in her sins and receive of her plagues.”  This is still the cry of the Lord today for His Church.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The church that I attend is going through a course or a conference to help teach us an effective way of leading people to the Lord.  It is a 20 hour course and the person who is leading it preached yesterday morning and evening and one of the things that he said in the evening message fits into what we are learning form this chapter in Isaiah 48, the part that says that Israel was to comfortable in Babylon and did not want to leave when they could have.  This person goes to the Philippines each summer to spread the good news of the gospel and the Philippines used to be a place where demon activity happened a lot, but not so much anymore. He asked one of the men he associated with why he thought that this was true and the answer that he got was materialism.  I think that materialism is another way of describing people who are living comfortably, and this is what many of the Jews in Babylon were doing and why the refused to go back to their land.  It is a problem in the Church today and that is why we don’t evangelize like we use to.  There is a little saying that I have on our refrigerator that says “We are not humans going through a temporary experience.  We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.”

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember that I am a spiritual person going through a temporary human experience. 

Memory verses for the week:  2 Peter 1:1-11

            1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: 2  Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3  seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. 4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.

    5  Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6  and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7  and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. 10  Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; 11  for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

Answer to the last Bible Question:  “Seven” (Exodus 13:6).

Today’s Bible Question:  “for how long is Christ consecrated as high priest?”

Answer in our next SD.

11/4/2013 12:15 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment