Thursday, December 18, 2014

False Piety PT-1 (Ezek. 14:1-5)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/18/2014 10:10 AM

My Worship Time                                                         Focus:  False Piety PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Ezekiel 14:1-5

          Message of the verses:  As I looked over and listened to the 14th chapter of Ezekiel I find it rather difficult to understand what the prophet is writing, but with the help of God’s Holy Spirit and the commentaries that I read I hope to better understand what Ezekiel is writing about in this chapter.  Dr. Wiersbe has two main points in this chapter and we will look at the first half of the first main point in today’s SD.

          Let us look at what Dr. Wiersbe wrote at the beginning of his commentary for this third main point of his forth chapter of his commentary:  “Except when God told him to leave, Ezekiel was confined to his house (3:24) and was not allowed to speak unless he was declaring a message from the Lord.  The elders of the exiled people came to visit him to see what he was doing and to hear what he had to say about their situation (8:1; 20:1).  The prophet gave them two messages from the Lord.”

          He exposed their hidden sin (Ezekiel 14:1-5):  “1 Then some elders of Israel came to me and sat down before me. 2 And the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 3 “Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their hearts and have put right before their faces the stumbling block of their iniquity. Should I be consulted by them at all? 4  "Therefore speak to them and tell them, ’Thus says the Lord GOD, "Any man of the house of Israel who sets up his idols in his heart, puts right before his face the stumbling block of his iniquity, and then comes to the prophet, I the LORD will be brought to give him an answer in the matter in view of the multitude of his idols, 5  in order to lay hold of the hearts of the house of Israel who are estranged from Me through all their idols."’”

          1 Then some of the leaders of Israel visited me, and while they were sitting with me, 2  this message came to me from the LORD: 3  “Son of man, these leaders have set up idols in their hearts. They have embraced things that will make them fall into sin. Why should I listen to their requests? 4 Tell them, ’This is what the Sovereign LORD says: The people of Israel have set up idols in their hearts and fallen into sin, and then they go to a prophet asking for a message. So I, the LORD, will give them the kind of answer their great idolatry deserves. 5  I will do this to capture the minds and hearts of all my people who have turned from me to worship their detestable idols’ (NLT).”

          A number of years ago when I had first began to go to the church that I now attend the church was celebrating its 175th anniversary and one of the Pastor’s who came to help celebrate this even was speaking, on exactly what I do not remember, but what I do remember was that he made a statement that went something like this: “When I am speaking and I know that it is from the Word of God I stand exactly in the middle of the pulpit, but when I am speaking and I think that what I am saying is true but it is my idea I stand on one side of the pulpit.”  Well today I have to admit that I would be standing on one side of the pulpit when I write in my Spiritual Diary today.  I believe that the “elders” who came to see Ezekiel were what we call apostates and we can classify Judas as an apostate for he walked with our Lord for three plus years and said all the right things and did all the right things, but did not believe that Jesus was the only way to get to heaven.  John 14:6 says “Jesus *said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”  Judas was looking for a political Messiah, and not a Messiah who would take his sins away.  It is my opinion that these elders who came to see Ezekiel were apostates, they had the right “religious” words to say, but their heart was far from the Lord.  Now with that said I do believe that true believers can have idols in their hearts that will cause them not to serve the Lord in the way that they should because they care more about the idols than serving the Lord.  Dr. Wiersbe gives some examples in his commentary.  “It’s not likely that believers today would have a love in their hearts for actual images, but anything that replaces God in our affections and our obedience is certainly an idol.  It might be wealth, as in the case of Achan (Josh. 7), Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5), and the man who we call ‘the rich young ruler’ (Matt. 19:16-26).  Jonah’s idol was a selfish patriotism that made him turn his back on the Gentiles who needed to hear his message.  Pilate’s idol was holding the approval of the people and his status in the Romans Empire (Mark 15:15; John 19:12-16).  What we have in our hearts affects what we see and how we live.  If Christ is Lord in our hearts (1 Peter 3:15), then there will be no place for idols.”  Now all of the people he mentioned here were believers as we know, but they all had idols in their hearts. 

          Israel was like the church in Ephesus as described by our Lord in Revelations 2:4 where the glorified Christ says “’But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.”  He goes on to say:  “’Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place-unless you repent.”  They did not and there is little today to see in that part of the world that tells us that there was a church there 1900 years ago.   Dr. Wiersbe writes “Loving and accepting the false prevents us from knowing and loving the true ‘and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved’ (2 Thess. 2:10) and results in our becoming estranged from the Lord (Ezek. 13:5).  As we said Israel left her first love and turned to idols and so the Lord had to destroy Jerusalem and the temple in order to stop the idol worship of His people.

          Spiritual meaning for my life today:  “Little children, guard yourselves from idols (1 John 5:21).”

My Steps of Faith for Today:  The same as my spiritual meaning for my life today.

Memory verses for the week:  2 Peter 1:4-5.

4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.  5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Paul” (Acts 27:25).

Today’s Bible question:  “Where was the marriage held at which Jesus turned water into wine?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/18/2014 11:06 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment