Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Leaders are Deceived PT-2 (Ezek. 11:14-21)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/2/2014 11:33 AM

My Worship Time                                                             Focus: The Leaders are Deceived PT-2

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                Reference:  Ezekiel 11:14-21

            Message of the verses:  We will be looking at the second sub-point from this main point in today’s SD, and then, Lord willing, we will finish up chapter eleven tomorrow.  After that, on Thursday, we will begin looking at the last part of 2 Thessalonians, verses 6-18, and this may take up most of this month to accomplish that.  Next year we will continue to look at Ezekiel along with, what I think as of now, we will begin to look at Colossians, and I cannot say how long it will take to go through that book, but will follow the Lord’s leading as we go through it, perhaps a half of a chapter a month along with continuing our study of Ezekiel, and then into the minor prophets. 

            Jehovah the Sanctuary of His People (Ezekiel 11:14-21):  “14 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 15 “Son of man, your brothers, your relatives, your fellow exiles and the whole house of Israel, all of them, are those to whom the inhabitants of Jerusalem have said, ’Go far from the LORD; this land has been given us as a possession.’ 16 "Therefore say, ’Thus says the Lord GOD, "Though I had removed them far away among the nations and though I had scattered them among the countries, yet I was a sanctuary for them a little while in the countries where they had gone."’ 17  "Therefore say, ’Thus says the Lord GOD, "I will gather you from the peoples and assemble you out of the countries among which you have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel."’ 18 “When they come there, they will remove all its detestable things and all its abominations from it. 19 “And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them. And I will take the heart of stone out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, 20 that they may walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances and do them. Then they will be My people, and I shall be their God. 21 “But as for those whose hearts go after their detestable things and abominations, I will bring their conduct down on their heads," declares the Lord GOD.”

            There is a saying which says that you never see a U-Haul trailer hooked to a hearse.  This of course means that you can never take anything with you when you die, but you leave it all behind.  There is one exception to this rule and that is that you can send it ahead through your giving that you do while on this earth.  The people who were still living in Jerusalem were probably not sad to see some of their fellow Israelites go into exile, and one reason for this was because they could not take possession of their land.  In other words they were a greedy bunch looking for any kind of gain they could get.  They also felt that because these had been taken from their land that now they had nothing to do with God because the temple of God was in Jerusalem.  There is a story in 2nd Kings which tells of a military man come to the prophet Elisha in order to get healed of his leprosy and after his healing we see that he came to know the God of Israel.  When he left for home he asked Elisha if he could take some soil with him so that he could worship from that soil.  He wanted to do this because he felt that he would be taking a part of the God of Israel with him, for that is the way people believed in that day, and that is the way that those who stayed in Jerusalem believed.  They should have known better for many reasons, but let me site one of them when Abraham was speaking to the king of Sodom:  “"I have sworn to the LORD God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth.”   Abraham is saying that the One True God is the possessor of all heaven and earth for after all He made it all.

            Steward Briscoe writes the following under his sub-title “A Little Sanctuary”:  “Ezekiel, I have scattered My people among the nations.  They have been banished from the land I gave them because they have failed to be what I planned for them to be.  But I have not deserted them and will be ‘a little sanctuary’ to them even in their exile.  They can still know Me there even as you have known Me in Tel-abib.  Moreover, Ezekiel, I want you to understand that I have every intention of bringing them back into this land so that when they have learned their lessons they can have the opportunity of being, once again, My people as I am their God.  They will once more have the chance to function as My chosen ones.  The world needs to see Me operating in the midst of My people.  So I will restore them, and they shall be My people and I will be their God” (11:15-18)

            “Immediately after the promise of Judgment, the promise of restoration is given.  God, the God of justice and fierce wrath, is also a God of long-suffering, patience, love, and tender-hearted compassion.”

            Now we will look at what Briscoe wrote under the topic of “New Hearts for Old,” and this is an important part of the entire book of Ezekiel for us to learn and obey.  “Here the message of the Lord becomes even clearer (vs. 19-20), through His tough but tender dealings with His people.  The principle is unchanging and indeed unchangeable.  Sin brings judgment; independence bears the fruit of disintegration.  Rebellion turns people from God and God from people.  No external antidote is available to remedy the ills of any individual or society that knows only outright rebellion and independence from and hostility to the Eternal God.

            “A New heart is needed and God is in the heart transplant business.  He specializes in taking the cold, unregenerate heart and infusing into it the life of His Spirit, the reality of His love, and the warmth of His presence.  God also gives His cool and lukewarm children a fresh touch of His Spirit and His erring churches a fresh exposure to Himself which, if they respond positively, brings about a new glow of devotion and a fiery determination to serve Him.  Our God is ready to do it in His Church and through the Church in society.”

            I believe his point is that as believers we can end up having a cold heart toward the things of the Lord, and of course the case of a cold and unregenerate heart is how everyone is born, and the only way to be changed is from the inside out, not the outside in.  We can do nothing in our unregenerate birth to please God, but the good news is that Jesus Christ has paid the price for our unregenerate hearts by taking our place on the cross and dying for it.  Anyone who comes to the Lord in repentance and asks for forgiveness will be born from above, and receive the gift of His Holy Spirit to live in them and to guide them through their remaining time on earth to do things that will bring glory to the Lord.  They will receive a new heart as Ezekiel speaks of in this section, and we also see a similar thing from Jeremiah 31:31-34:  “31  "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32  not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33  "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34  "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ’Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."”  

            Now as we look at verses 19-21 of Ezekiel 11 we must understand that this prophecy has two parts to it for they did return to Israel 70 years after they were taken there as prophesized by Jeremiah in Jeremiah 25:11 and 29:12, but there is another time in which the Jews will return to their land.  I believe that it surely, without a doubt, the Lord who brought Israel back into their land and they became a nation in May of 1948, but as Ezekiel later prophesizes in chapter 37 it will take a while for them to receive their new hearts, but it will come.  I believe that in the last part of the tribulation period as described in Revelation chapter eleven when as Paul writes in the book of Romans that all Israel will be saved.  Of course when the Lord Jesus Christ returns from heaven as described in Revelation chapter 19 He will shortly after that set up His Millennial Kingdom from the rebuilt Jerusalem, which is the Kingdom that is promised to Israel.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The heart of the issue is the issue with the heart is something I have heard before which has great meaning for me.  My heart needs to be a heart that seeks after the Lord, and I am speaking of the new heart that the Lord has given to me. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Holy Spirit of God to help me to keep my heart pure.

Memory verses for the week:  2 Peter 1:1-3.

1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith like ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:  2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;  3  seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called by His own glory and excellence.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Christ” (Galatians 3:8, 16).

Today’s Bible question:  “What did Jesus teach regarding building a house on a rock?”

Answer in our next SD.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment