Monday, December 1, 2014

The Leaders Are Deceived PT-1 (Ezek. 11:1-13)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/1/2014 11:46 AM

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  The Leaders Are Deceived PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                         Reference:  Ezekiel 11:1-13

            Message of the verses:  We begin our last main point which takes in the eleventh chapter of Ezekiel.  There are three sub-points in this chapter that we will be looking at over the next three days (Lord willing).

            Introduction:  As I go through the book of Ezekiel I am realizing that Ezekiel’s prophecies were given to the exiles that came from Judah before they happened in the city of Jerusalem, and so since we have already looked at the book of Jeremiah we know that what Ezekiel is prophesying about will happen.  We know that the leaders that Judah had during this time were weak, and that they did not want to call upon the Lord, but instead tried to get help from Egypt, which did not work.  Ezekiel is telling the exiles exactly what was going to happen in Jerusalem, and to know this was making it hard on Ezekiel

1.                              The City is Like a Cauldron (Ezekiel 11:1-13):  “1 Moreover, the Spirit lifted me up and brought me to the east gate of the LORD’S house which faced eastward. And behold, there were twenty-five men at the entrance of the gate, and among them I saw Jaazaniah son of Azzur and Pelatiah son of Benaiah, leaders of the people. 2 He said to me, "Son of man, these are the men who devise iniquity and give evil advice in this city, 3 who say, ’Is not the time near to build houses? This city is the pot and we are the flesh.’ 4 “Therefore, prophesy against them, son of man, prophesy!" 5 Then the Spirit of the LORD fell upon me, and He said to me, "Say, ’Thus says the LORD, "So you think, house of Israel, for I know your thoughts. 6 “You have multiplied your slain in this city, filling its streets with them." 7 ’Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD, "Your slain whom you have laid in the midst of the city are the flesh and this city is the pot; but I will bring you out of it. 8 “You have feared a sword; so I will bring a sword upon you," the Lord GOD declares. 9 “And I will bring you out of the midst of the city and deliver you into the hands of strangers and execute judgments against you. 10 “You will fall by the sword. I will judge you to the border of Israel; so you shall know that I am the LORD. 11  "This city will not be a pot for you, nor will you be flesh in the midst of it, but I will judge you to the border of Israel. 12  "Thus you will know that I am the LORD; for you have not walked in My statutes nor have you executed My ordinances, but have acted according to the ordinances of the nations around you."’" 13 Now it came about as I prophesied, that Pelatiah son of Benaiah died. Then I fell on my face and cried out with a loud voice and said, "Alas, Lord GOD! Will You bring the remnant of Israel to a complete end?’”  First of all I did not know what the word cauldron was so I looked it up and this is what I found:  a large metal pot with a lid and handle, used for cooking over an open fire.”  As we look through these verses we will see what this word is used in the introduction to this sub-section.  Stuart Briscoe entitles this section:  “Meat in the Pot.” 

12/1/2014 12:09 PM    12/1/2014 4:00 PM

 

            The following is what Steward Briscoe has to say about this “meat in the pot”:  While Ezekiel was watching the slow, deliberate movement of the Glory, the Lord directed his attention to a group of 25 men who were meeting outside the East gate (11:1).  The were people who had been most influential in forging the attitudes of the unrepentant city.  They insisted, ‘It is not near’  (11:3).  By that they were probably saying, ‘Don’t listen to the prophets of doom.  All is well, there is nothing to fear.  Go ahead and build your houses, and live the good life.  Sure, things are bad around here, but we are all right.  We are like meat cooking in a pot over the fire.  The fire can’t get to us, so cheer up and watch us win through this whole tricky situation.’  This seems to have been their message, and Ezekiel was told to refute it.  He proceeded to do so in graphic language.  ‘You think you are safe in your cauldron, but I want you to know that this city is not safe, and you are not going to survive.  The cauldron will be overthrown and you will be cast out and destroyed’ (11:5-12).”

            The following is what Dr. Wiersbe has to say about the meat in the pot:  “The innuendo in this metaphor was that the people in Jerusalem were choice cuts of meat while the exiles in Babylon were just the scraps and rejected pieces.  Of course, the opposite was true!  Had the leaders in Jerusalem listened to Jeremiah’s message about the baskets of figs, they would have seen their philosophy completely reversed.  The good figs were the exiles and the bad figs were the people lift in Jerusalem (Jer. 24:1-7)  God would preserve a remnant from among the exiles, but the idolaters in Jerusalem would be slain.”

            There seems to bad people who want to take advantage of bad situations, such as we see here, and they act like they are helping out, but in the end all they want to help is themselves.

            God told Ezekiel to speak out against these evil men and he was to point out that they weren’t the meat, they were the bluchers!  ““You have multiplied your slain in this city, filling its streets with them.’”  (vs. 6)  These men were going to find out that they had to be accountable for the death and destruction in this city.  How long did they think that God would wait for them to repent of their sins?  He had waited long enough and now judgment would fall upon these evil men for the shedding of innocent blood.  I have often wondered how the judges who decided that it were up to them to make law in our country by making abortion legal.  I believe that they are all passed on now and I also believe that they now understand that their decision was wrong. Similar things happened to these evil men in Ezekiel’s day.

            While preaching this message Petaliah fell dead and this was upsetting to Ezekiel as we see in verse 13.  I think of “a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira,” from Acts 5:1, but the difference was that they were both believers, but they lied to the Holy Spirit and were judged immediately for their sin, while this man was not a believer and when straight into Hades. 

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I think of the verse “Be sure for your sin will find you out” as I read this passage and that is why that in my prayers each day I remember that I am to have a fear for the Lord, and I confess any sins that I have committed, and then ask the Holy Spirit to search my heart for hidden sin:  “23  Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; 24  And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way (Psalm 139:23-24).”

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I desire to have a short list with the Lord.

 

Memory verses for the week:  2 Peter 2:1-3.

 

1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:  2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord; 3 Seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Quail” (Numbers 11:31).

Today’s Bible question:  “Of whom was it said ‘In thee shall all the nations be blessed’?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/1/2014 4:41 PM

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment